Why become a member? ×

Where could I find one of these? - PCB mount Speakon

I have a TC BH250 head which only has a Speakon connector and not a combi jack, this annoys me. I'm aiming to use it as a rehearsal head with whatever cabs are in the practice room, so I could take a Speakon-jack lead and depending on the connections provided by the cabs on offer I could plug remaining end into the amp. Essentially meaning I can turn up to rehearsal anywhere with a single cable.

However the Speakon connector (4 pole) is soldered to a PCB which plugs into the mainboard, nice and convenient for swapping it in or out but not as easy to find if you want a drop in replacement without soldering wires to it. Anybody know where I can get a 4 pole Speakon combi jack with these long legs?

IMG_20200504_222516.jpg

IMG_20200504_222532.jpg

IMG_20200504_222539.jpg

Edited by lemmywinks

Neutrik only make 2 versions of the combo socket, both have a 2 pole designation but unlike other 2 pole sockets they are compatible with both 2 and 4 pole plugs (as per the 4 pole sockets)

i would expect that the 4 pole socket is used here as it is the most versatile of the SpeakON compatible ones and probably the most common one in use.

the connections will be +1, -1, +2, -2  and i would expect that the +2 and -2 connections are either connected directly to the respective 1 connections or just soldered to isolated pads on the PCB, if that it the case then the 2 pole SpeakON socket will be a direct replacement.

is there a model number on the socket currently fitted? the solder tab dimensions could be compared to the available combo socket to see if it lines up (the overall housing dimensions will be the same as they are a common size) as a guess it is a NL4MD-H-1  so the +1 and -1 connections are in the same position so it will connect straight in.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nlj2md-h

did you get a photo of the underside of the PCB?  this would tell you what the connections are to the pins.

Apologies if you already know most of this, i included it for others who might stumble across this post in the future trying to do something similar.

Matt

24 minutes ago, Matt P said:

Neutrik only make 2 versions of the combo socket, both have a 2 pole designation but unlike other 2 pole sockets they are compatible with both 2 and 4 pole plugs (as per the 4 pole sockets)

i would expect that the 4 pole socket is used here as it is the most versatile of the SpeakON compatible ones and probably the most common one in use.

the connections will be +1, -1, +2, -2  and i would expect that the +2 and -2 connections are either connected directly to the respective 1 connections or just soldered to isolated pads on the PCB, if that it the case then the 2 pole SpeakON socket will be a direct replacement.

is there a model number on the socket currently fitted? the solder tab dimensions could be compared to the available combo socket to see if it lines up (the overall housing dimensions will be the same as they are a common size) as a guess it is a NL4MD-H-1  so the +1 and -1 connections are in the same position so it will connect straight in.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nlj2md-h

did you get a photo of the underside of the PCB?  this would tell you what the connections are to the pins.

Apologies if you already know most of this, i included it for others who might stumble across this post in the future trying to do something similar.

Matt

That looks like the one

.pdf drawing here   https://www.neutrik.co.uk/media/8513/download/nlj2md-h.pdf?v=1

Thanks, I managed to find an identical part to the one in there (Neutrik class is as chassis mount) but as you said it looks like they only make the vertical and horizontal 2 pole versions of their combo socket. Seeing as the board needs to be secure inside the amp (it's a pretty tight fit at the back) I don't really want to solder wires to it as it may rattle around so will probably just go for an external adapter.

I have a spare regular Speakon combo jack here so may look into making a mount to attach the daughter board at some point.

The dimensions of the connectors are identical in every respect except for the extra 2 poles on the 4 pole socket so it should fit exactly into the existing space, I would expect that the tolerances will be very good so the fit will be identical. 

The chassis mount designation is just because it screws onto the chassis as well as mounting to the pcb, if you look at the technical drawing then you will see that it is almost identical to the one you have fitted already, 

Matt

Edited by Matt P
Additional details

22 hours ago, Matt P said:

The dimensions of the connectors are identical in every respect except for the extra 2 poles on the 4 pole socket so it should fit exactly into the existing space, I would expect that the tolerances will be very good so the fit will be identical. 

The chassis mount designation is just because it screws onto the chassis as well as mounting to the pcb, if you look at the technical drawing then you will see that it is almost identical to the one you have fitted already, 

Matt

Nah, it has long legs at 90 degrees which secure it to a separate daughter board as shown on the photo, that's what I was looking for. Something I could solder directly to this existing board and plug in to the mainboard. If I used wires the daughter board would be flapping around loose in the case and I would have to find a way of securing it, space is tight so that might be a challenge.

As I mentioned I have a spare Speakon sat right here so I know what one looks like!

17 hours ago, BassBunny said:

That's plan B, which unfortunately has become plan A!

which version of the speakon do you have as there are 2 different ones, i believe that the -H variant should be the right one, unfortunately many of the pictures online show the -V version which sounds like the one you have as a spare

-V version285726121_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0710-10-46.png.589902c01d8b2749b25073c6e141db9d.png

and the  -H Version

539148217_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0710-09-47.png.ad7b0df6784dce3b1c18d30b8eedd0c1.png

Matt

Edit - i've just had another look at the Neutrik website and they seem to be using the same photo for both versions of the socket so the legs aren't shown unless you open the Pdf drawings! and every retail website has simply copied the image from the Neutrik website to further confuse the issue.

Edited by Matt P
extra text at the bottom

This seems to be the 2 pole version of the one I need:
https://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nlj2md-h/speakon-socket-2p-pcb/dp/AV15768?mckv=sdkkuswy0_dc|pcrid|224645161149|kword||match||plid||slid||product|AV15768|pgrid|45968746254|ptaid|pla-893609004718|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIteXVqbih6QIVVeztCh2H7AADEAQYBSABEgKnO_D_BwE

It's mounted at 90 degrees inside the amp so from the outside the socket is actually on its side. From memory the 2+ connection goes directly to the red + pad on the small PCB via a trace on the bottom, couldn't see where the - one went.

So if I bought that and soldered wires from the + and - legs to the 2+ and 2- contacts on the daughter board it would be ok? 

you might find that the +2 and -2 connections are already connected across to the +1 and -1 connections, it is hard to tell without seeing the underside of the board, they might not be connected to anything at all (just there to help stabilise the connection or because the same board is used in a few different amps

Matt

Edited by Matt P

On 07/05/2020 at 12:19, Matt P said:

you might find that the +2 and -2 connections are already connected across to the +1 and -1 connections, it is hard to tell without seeing the underside of the board, they might not be connected to anything at all (just there to help stabilise the connection or because the same board is used in a few different amps

Matt

The combo socket arrived today as well as some nicer Torx T8 and T10 screwdrivers so I opened it up and it seems like the +2 and -2 don't go anywhere after all. Desoldered the existing connector and fitted the combo socket, everything works as it should. Nice simple mod, shame the part cost a tenner as it should have been on there to begin with

IMG_20200514_161938.jpg

18 hours ago, Matt P said:

excellent work! i don't know why more companies don't use these sockets.

If I was an amp manufacturer for anything over 100W output I wouldn't want end users using Jack cables. It's all very well saying that heavy duty, high current jack plugs are available that will accommodate suitable heavy weight speaker cable, but you just know at some point a cheap and nasty jack to jack instrument cable is going get used because nothing else is available.

At least with Speakon connectors the only leads available are going to of a suitable rating unless you deliberately make one up with crap cable.

The cable I'm using is an obbm one with a huge Neutrik high current jack on it, don't see the point in reducing usability in order to cater to the lowest common denominator. I want an amp head I can take anywhere with me for rehearsals, not a toy with hampered functionality because someone else might not use it correctly. 

All the heads and cabs I've owned in the last decade have had a combo jack IIRC, until every single cab manufacturer ditches the 1/4" jack I'll still need to take an appropriate cable with me to practice rooms.

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

The cable I'm using is an obbm one with a huge Neutrik high current jack on it, don't see the point in reducing usability in order to cater to the lowest common denominator. I want an amp head I can take anywhere with me for rehearsals, not a toy with hampered functionality because someone else might not use it correctly. 

All the heads and cabs I've owned in the last decade have had a combo jack IIRC, until every single cab manufacturer ditches the 1/4" jack I'll still need to take an appropriate cable with me to practice rooms.

I'm not denying that you will always be using suitable jack connectors and cables for speaker leads. I was replying to Matt P's post:

23 hours ago, Matt P said:

i don't know why more companies don't use these sockets.

And the reason is: for every clued-up bass player on Basschat who knows the right leads to use to connect their amp to their cabs, there be at least one numpty who will think nothing of using any spare instrument lead they have lying about. I would have thought that most amp and speaker manufacturers would be doing their best to reduce user error when connecting amps to cabs, and the best way to do this is to only use Speakon sockets on their gear.

i had forgotten about the numpties! i've encountered them on occasion, i have obviously been on lockdown too long.

6 hours ago, BigRedX said:

If I was an amp manufacturer for anything over 100W output I wouldn't want end users using Jack cables. It's all very well saying that heavy duty, high current jack plugs are available that will accommodate suitable heavy weight speaker cable, but you just know at some point a cheap and nasty jack to jack instrument cable is going get used because nothing else is available.

At least with Speakon connectors the only leads available are going to of a suitable rating unless you deliberately make one up with crap cable.

They are pretty standard with bass amps, pretty much all popular makers use them (Ashdown, Markbass etc). TC put them in the higher priced heads too, just scrimping a bit with this one. It is very cheap considering what it does to be fair. 

Still better than having 1/4" jack only which put me off the BAM200.