Why become a member? ×

Headphone recommendations

lancer

I have some Sennheiser 650s (retail £300) headphones and some 580s. You really have to concentrate hard to hear any difference. You can pick up a second-hand pair of 580s for about £70 on eBay, although they sometimes go for a lot more. If you like, you can replace the foam parts for just a few pounds by buying the copies from China.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2020 at 14:19, stewblack said:

Many many folk recommended Superlux HD681. They are utterly inexpensive and the last time I used such great headphones was in a studio. 

Perfect for bass

Worth remembering that the headphones that get handed out to bass players in the studio for monitoring are not necessarily the good stuff, which is locked away somewhere 🙂

• Haha 1

I use AKG K92s with my B1-4. I bought them for the light weight and wearing comfort while still sounding good and not being expensive.

I also have Beyer DT150s which are great headphones, but they are also heavy and very close fitting. They have great isolation if you are working in a loud environment, but not so comfortable for home use.

They're more than the budget, but the Beyer DT770 is a seriously nice pair of headphones and, with an extended low freq response, ideal for bass. Well worth it if you can save up the extra pennies - you can get them for a little over £100. Closed back, too, so great in noisy environments and for not disturbing others when you listen on the bus or train.

6 hours ago, Jack said:

I took the easy way out and bought the Phil Jones Bass ones, they sound great for about £70.

I think I might buy a pair of them. My current ones are on their way out and they don’t make them any more 😬.

(Panasonic RP-HT X7’s - actually, I think the model continues, but the new ones are not the same)

7 hours ago, ProfJames said:

Are there any good ear plugs for bass practice?

Girlfriend uses the Etymotic ones when I'm practicing. :D

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for AKG K 240s.  Had mine 38 years, and the one of the earpieces stopped working just two months ago.

They are easily repairable, if one knows what one is doing.  So, I shall be sending mine off to https://uk.electronic.partners/ 

I also have a pair of AKG Y50s - this time, after just two years, one side has stopped working.