Why become a member? ×

What is wrong with my P Bass

calumpiercy

8 hours ago, calumpiercy said:

My P bass sounds very strange, almost out of phase with itself, is this possible? First bass you hear is mine, 2nd is another MIM P Bass. Both D.I. Any ideas why it sounds so much worse?

I agree they sound very different - have they got the same strings? The second one is more scooped sounding (particularly trebly)  whereas the first is much more ballsy sounding, in your face as it were. 

Its worth looking at pick up heights and maybe the outputs are different - the first sounds almost over driven to me. Some Precisions are louder than others. 

How do they fare back to back with the tone turned off (or at least down)? 

I know it's anathema but you could turn the bass volume down a bit on your one perhaps (unless the volume isn't linear - ie drops off very suddenly when you turn the control). 

Edited by drTStingray

On 04/05/2020 at 15:33, Lozz196 said:

I don’t hear anything that would cause me concern, if anything I think bass one sounds much better and more Precision like. 

That's exactly what I was going to say. Bass 1 sounds ok to me, I may EQ it a bit differently but it sounds like a P. Bass 2 sounds like someone turned down the mids, which some people may want, but not me, however it's still a Precision sound.

:shrug:

what pickups & strings are you using on both basses?