Why become a member? ×

New Bass Recommendations?

Brightside

Hello 

I have an itch for a new bass but not really sure what I'm looking for, please help!

I currently have (in order of preference) Warwick Corvette, Ibanez SR1400, and my Sire V7 which I use for gigs.

I just sold an American Fender Jazz Select bass which sounded amazing but it just didn't feel as 'natural' for me to play as the Warwick and Ibanez. I think the frets being larger made it a bit clunky going between the necks, but I did really love the sound of the jazz...maybe I just needed to persevere with it more.. 😣

So now due to selling some gear I have around £1500 to play with. I've had a look and I'm quite interested in Sandberg CaliforniaTM series, but due to the current situation haven't been able to have a play on them so not sure what they're like to play. 

I'd love to hear any recommendations for any other bass guitars you think I should take a look at. As I said I have a budget of £1500 max and would rather shop second hand. In my spare time I mostly play interesting rock (Rush) and funky stuff, and I play in a 70s-00s rock covers band.  

Thanks in advance!

Hm - if you love Warwick and Ibanez most I'm inclined to refer a Spector due to similar narrower string spacing etc.

Otherwise, Sadowsky... and well in a different vibe I've got a couple Merlos in the marketplace (4 and 5) at a ridiculous price for handmade instruments.

If you're not sure of the investment, a Spector Euro would always return the money and you've got a couple around facebook and here for 1300 ish.

• Like 2

If your instrument is nice, is there a need for something totally different? What is you do not get out of your current bass?

- electronics (pickups, eq...)

- neck (5th string, 24 frets...)

- body (weight, shape...)

- design elements like colour

Now, every reason to buy one is as good, because the right amount of basses is +1, as everybody knows. Sit down and take a good look at your bass. What else is in need?

I only play short scale now. If you stuck £1500 in my hand and I had to buy something completely different but also something I really fancied, I'd get a Spector Bantam (in red).

They also do long scale basses if you prefer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I only play short scale now. If you stuck £1500 in my hand and I had to buy something completely different but also something I really fancied, I'd get a Spector Bantam (in red).

Short scale for £1500? I’d get a Wilcock.

If you haven't got Rickenbacker and you're into Rush, then there's sort-of an answer there.

I've got a couple of Warwick Corvette 5-strings (the bolt-on neck versions); they are really good, so a more up-market thru-neck one should be great. (Of course, the Spector folks would "tut" loudly at you.)

I played a couple of Sandbergs on their stand at the Brum show and they were rather nice, if you want a Fender-a-like...

It would even be possible to get a Ric and a Warwick with your budget...

As corollary (though they're not for sale), any of the right four of these Rics plus all but one of these 5-strings would be.

5s5izdV.jpg

stWdo6X.jpg

So, there's stuff out there if you keep your eyes open and are patient.

12 minutes ago, prowla said:

If you haven't got Rickenbacker and you're into Rush, then there's sort-of an answer there.

I've got a couple of Warwick Corvette 5-strings (the bolt-on neck versions); they are really good, so a more up-market thru-neck one should be great. (Of course, the Spector folks would "tut" loudly at you.)

I played a couple of Sandbergs on their stand at the Brum show and they were rather nice, if you want a Fender-a-like...

It would even be possible to get a Ric and a Warwick with your budget...

As corollary (though they're not for sale), any of the right four of these Rics plus all but one of these 5-strings would be.

5s5izdV.jpg

stWdo6X.jpg

So, there's stuff out there if you keep your eyes open and are patient.

I have played ricks before and they sound and play nice, but I'm not a huge fan of the look. Maybe I'll have another go.

I was thinking about another Warwick but as I've never played one other than my Corvette I'm not sure if the others are different enough? I have been offered a 90s streamer for £1k..

17 hours ago, therealting said:

On a different tack - ever tried a Dingwall? You’re in the range for an Afterburner, which would probably suit your prog and rock stuff quite nicely. 

Thanks for the recommendation, been looking into Dingwalls and I'm very interested! 

51 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Ever considered a fretless? Hours of enjoyment of a Mwah different kind. Although I’m not personally fond of them a Warwick would be good and familiar as you already have one.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've tried a fretless before and didn't get on with it. I'm not a massive fan of the sound either. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/05/2020 at 10:51, Johnteckel said:

MIJ Bacchus maybe. Add one, sound awesome and play like butter. 1500£ is what they asked for their high-end  models. 

WOODLINE417AC-EWC-BLK-BS-MAT.png

Sleek indeed. Jazz Bass is the answer to everything really. This is a nice shade of Jazz.

I just got this Sandberg two days ago... Absolutely loving it! The darkglass pre and the pickups tick all my Stingray and Jazz needs and more...!

Worth considering, I used to have a VM5 and this one is definitely a different beast...!

Ander.

IMG20200526122210.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

I just got this Sandberg two days ago... Absolutely loving it! The darkglass pre and the pickups tick all my Stingray and Jazz needs and more...!

Worth considering, I used to have a VM5 and this one is definitely a different beast...!

Ander.

IMG20200526122210.jpg

Hey! I think we spoke on Facebook about your Alpher Mako. I am interested in Sandberg's especially this TM series you got, but I opted for a Maruszczyk and will probably bite at a dingwall in the not too distant future. I'm sure I'll get to Sandberg's eventually :P

• Haha 1