Why become a member? ×

EQ Curve to Simulate Classic 8x10

Bankai

The other thing to remember, is that for venue supplied backline, just because a particular piece of kit is being used doesn't necessarily mean that it is the right sounding one for the band. I've been in this situation as a musician many times at gigs where a back line has been supplied and with quick changeover times required there simply isn't time to agonise over the bass tone, when your are fighting against the guitarist(s) doing the same and the drummer micro-adjusting the kit and playing it at the same time. Most of the time I'd simply plug in and so long as I could hear myself and it didn't sound too horrible on stage, I'd make do and hope that FoH the sound and balance of instruments was better.

In these cases I certainly wouldn't have wanted the bass in the PA to match what I had on stage. So a quick word with the bass player before as they set up might be worth more than trying to replicate a cab sound in EQ.

The above scenario is one of the reasons why I have ditched my extremely expensive rig in favour of a Helix and an FRFR as my personal monitor.

39 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Also - Behringer do a copy of the BDDI for about £35

It's almost indistinguishable from the original. 

That’s the one I mentioned in my post. I used to prefer it to the real thing at one point. It’s a bit brighter. Still got mine, even though I also have a BDDIv2. 

• Like 1

I know nothing about sound engineering.

But.....I have a friend who is a sound engineer and she showed me a frequency analyser she had on her laptop.

She would play pink noise through the FOH and it showed her where the peaks in the venues sound were and allowed her to EQ them out.

I assume you could use the same technology to analyse the sound coming from an 8x10, in a particular venue, and attempt to replicate that sound from a DI, into the FOH, via EQ on the desk.

Just a thought - like I said I know nothing about sound engineering.

Edit: In the video below, the pink noise generator is built into the desk.

Edited by gjones

48 minutes ago, gjones said:

I know nothing about sound engineering.

But.....I have a friend who is a sound engineer and she showed me a frequency analyser she had on her laptop.

She would play pink noise through the FOH and it showed her where the peaks in the venues sound were and allowed her to EQ them out.

I assume you could use the same technology to analyse the sound coming from an 8x10, in a particular venue, and attempt to replicate that sound from a DI, into the FOH, via EQ on the desk.

Just a thought - like I said I know nothing about sound engineering.

Edit: In the video below, the pink noise generator is built into the desk.

The problem with this method is that the EQ fix, if possible, will only work at the location where the measurement is taken. It tells you nothing about the sound at other locations in the room.

If it was possible to fix room acoustics with EQ only then studio control rooms would be able to dispense with all the expensive and bulky acoustic treatment and simply stick a 31 band graphic EQ across the monitor output. 

I appreciate that acoustic treatment isn't really possible at most venues, but musicians need to be aware that EQ fixes are by no means universal. EQ'ing to make it sound good where you are standing is just as likely to make the sound much worse in other parts of room.

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I appreciate that acoustic treatment isn't really possible at most venues, but musicians need to be aware that EQ fixes are by no means universal. EQ'ing to make it sound good where you are standing is just as likely to make the sound much worse in other parts of room.

That's why I always stand next to the sound engineer when listening to a band :)