Why become a member? ×

Yoiks..a new Vulfpeck convert

I was never a fan before but clearly they're a band made for live performance. The energy and good time vibe blew me away. A lot of  acts with their dour, non-communication with the crowd could learn a thing or two from these guys. Hello there Van Morrison,  Stereophonics, Mastodon, Tool, Opeth....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, I tried zapping through it; couldn't find anything at all to hold me in. Very much not my 'cup of tea', I'm afraid. To each his/her own, of course. :|

Very much with you. Have had these rammed down my throat recently and fail to see the interest. Still, each to their own, plenty of stuff I love others don’t get.

8 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

When I've watched vids of Vulfpeck in a studio setting I've not been that interested. However, am currently watching this ..and it's another kettle of fish entirely! 👌

I ‘think’ there has already been a thread or two on this. I keep trying my best to watch it, i think they are outstanding musicians, but just cant seem to stick with it for more than 30 seconds at a time. Joe Dart is amazing at what he does, but the word ‘bland’ keeps coming to mind. 

Again, amazing musicians, but the music is a bit all over the place for me. To me its a case of playing as many notes as possible because they can. Guess that’s the genre they are in though. 

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I ‘think’ there has already been a thread or two on this. I keep trying my best to watch it, i think they are outstanding musicians, but just cant seem to stick with it for more than 30 seconds at a time. Joe Dart is amazing at what he does, but the word ‘bland’ keeps coming to mind. 

Again, amazing musicians, but the music is a bit all over the place for me. To me its a case of playing as many notes as possible because they can. Guess that’s the genre they are in though. 

I’m sure this is the same concert that’s on Spotify. Live in madision square garden. 

• Like 1

Likewise - big fan of their recorded output (mostly), love the Fearless Flyers and Cory Wong. However there's just something about the MSG concert that just leaves me cold. Falls in the trying too hard/overly self-indulgent category, rather than nailing it for the song as they do on the albums.

Unquestionably the best live video I've ever seen. 

I adore this band and all the other work the members do. They are not just fabulous musicians but they are funny  humble and got to MSG through their own hard work and not the money of a record company. 

The genius of this is getting a musician to film it. Oh and having him on stage of course! 

So glad you're enjoying it @Barking Spiders and I'm so sorry for those who don't enjoy it. 

• Like 2

Surely the Guitarist's mum doing relaxation exercises with the whole of Madison Sq Gardens at c 22 minutes is inspired/unique.  Did Bruce Springsteen ever think of this?  Just watch the audience.  It is proper entertainment (and I confess to liking Joe Dart's playing too)

9 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

Surely the Guitarist's mum doing relaxation exercises with the whole of Madison Sq Gardens at c 22 minutes is inspired/unique.  Did Bruce Springsteen ever think of this?  Just watch the audience.  It is proper entertainment (and I confess to liking Joe Dart's playing too)

Yeah, but doesn’t quite work as an MP3 😂

Bland? Then what does that make Coldplay, Keane and Travis? I started watching this as a confirmed neutral. Admittedly, I could do without the slower tunes featuring guess singers but the uptempo numbers more than make up for it though I do enjoy the accapella routine. The sheer fun these guys are having is infectious.

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

Unquestionably the best live video I've ever seen. 

I adore this band and all the other work the members do. They are not just fabulous musicians but they are funny  humble and got to MSG through their own hard work and not the money of a record company. 

The genius of this is getting a musician to film it. Oh and having him on stage of course! 

So glad you're enjoying it @Barking Spiders and I'm so sorry for those who don't enjoy it. 

This. To get as far as they have under their own steam, with no biz support, is testament to them doing something right. I have been into their music since someone posted a video of It Gets Funkier here, what, eight years ago? They’re just regular guys who have made a success of doing what they love on their own terms. More power to them.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 19:38, P-Belly Evans said:

When I fancy listening to them, it is mainly this I gravitate to. The Fearless Flyers. Nate Smith kills it. Some great cameos too. 

That is a perfect example of less-is-more in drum kit size. What a player too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Bland? Then what does that make Coldplay, Keane and Travis? I started watching this as a confirmed neutral. Admittedly, I could do without the slower tunes featuring guess singers but the uptempo numbers more than make up for it though I do enjoy the accapella routine. The sheer fun these guys are having is infectious.

Travis and Coldplay have written some great songs (Keane, not so much 😂), in what is obviously many people’s opinion, if not yours. Much as I love Prog and some jazz fusion etc, a good song trumps most things in my book. Of course YMMV, as may your idea of a good song. 😉

7 hours ago, 4000 said:

Travis and Coldplay have written some great songs (Keane, not so much 😂), in what is obviously many people’s opinion, if not yours. Much as I love Prog and some jazz fusion etc, a good song trumps most things in my book. Of course YMMV, as may your idea of a good song. 😉

Melody and structure, key to wide appeal.

you can play as many notes as you want and as wonderfully as possible but without great melody and structure to hold it all together it’s wasted effort , in my humble but most opinionated opinion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Bland? Then what does that make Coldplay, Keane and Travis?

Odd statement. If someone views something as bland, picking some other groups that you think are 'blander' doesn't change whether the person is going to see them as less bland.

"OMG, that guy killed two pensioners, hes a monster", "well, he didn't kill as many as Dr Shipman", "Oh no, you are right, he is obviously ok after all".

I am about half way between the good / bland thing and I can see both sides. I mean they look good live, make some good songs and they are obviously very talented - I would love to be able to play half that well, but there is an element to them that is very 'soundtrack' - like music made for an advert or a demonstration. Very polished, very professional, maybe a bit soulless?

I mean if you played some of it in a pub then quite a few people would wander off to the next pub to see if anyone was playing sex on fire.