Why become a member? ×

First ever bass, wondering about upgrades!

ffffoureyes

If it is just for recording, I wouldn`t. That P Tonerider pickup is great. In fact I would gig it the way it is just now.

Apart form the covers, especially the one over the bridge which is a Jazz bass cover.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

If it is just for recording, I wouldn`t. That P Tonerider pickup is great. In fact I would gig it the way it is just now.

Apart form the covers, especially the one over the bridge which is a Jazz bass cover.

Thanks for the reply! I’m pretty chuffed, paid £220 for it. 

29 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Yep, Toneriders are good pickups, sound very similar to the Fender Custom Shop 62s.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I don't think you should change anything unless you know you have a problem.

Throwing upgrades onto a bass on the off-chance of making it "better" is a great way of throwing good money away.

^^^ This, with potentially expensive bells on.

When I started gigging in a covers band I got a cheap Mex P bass and read a lot of online stuff about 'essential' mods.....stuck in some Seymour Duncan quarter pounders and got a decent gotoh himass bridge. Two gigs later I changed it all back to stock as, to me, it sounded a lot better that way. Others may have preferred the moded sound but to me the original sounded just like a proper P bass should. The advice from this old git would be, ( and it sounds like you have decent pickups already), unless you are very unhappy with something....leave well alone....😆😆

4 hours ago, sykilz said:

When I started gigging in a covers band I got a cheap Mex P bass and read a lot of online stuff about 'essential' mods.....stuck in some Seymour Duncan quarter pounders and got a decent gotoh himass bridge. Two gigs later I changed it all back to stock as, to me, it sounded a lot better that way. Others may have preferred the moded sound but to me the original sounded just like a proper P bass should. The advice from this old git would be, ( and it sounds like you have decent pickups already), unless you are very unhappy with something....leave well alone....😆😆

This.  My MM P was possibly the best sounding and playing of my 40+ basses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sykilz said:

Funny that, I did pretty much the same, and came to the same conclusion too. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sykilz said:

I'm having flashbacks to when I built my first parts guitar. All advice well-heeded. It shall remain as is! Glad you guys like the pickups that are in there. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZenBasses said:

If you are new to bass , all I'd recommend (once we can) getting a good setup unless you are familiar with the process.

It's a hell of a find for the money 

As mentioned above Winner Winner Chicken Dinner 😋

Thankfully I've been playing guitar for 15 odd years and know my way around a setup, shouldn't be too alien for me. It's been posted today so should land in a couple of days!