Why become a member? ×

Things were cooler in the 60s

Cool looking Fenton Weill bass. Both Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles are rumoured to have said this was a nice looking bass....(I made that bit up)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-FENTON-WEILL-BASS-GUITAR-WITH-HARD-CASE-EARLY-1960S-PARTS-OR-REPAIR/164184025839?hash=item263a216aef:g:XugAAOSwyyleruwd

Free eye test at Specsaver for prospective buyers.

Two hundred and fifty quid? What planet are these people on? I wouldn't have it for free as it looks like it'd be a bugger  to burn, wouldn't produce much heat, and that's the only use I can see for it.

• Haha 4

They may look odd but they are a little bit of UK rock and roll history and as a result collectible. They were also quite respected in their day as they were good sounding instruments. Jet Harris had one as did Mont Campbell of Egg. There were also connections with Burns - Burns Weill. 
I like their quirky looks no wonder they were known as the Martian Cricket Bat! 

5 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Two hundred and fifty quid? What planet are these people on? I wouldn't have it for free as it looks like it'd be a bugger  to burn, wouldn't produce much heat, and that's the only use I can see for it.

It’s already got a bid on, 8 hours in!

7 hours ago, ash said:

They may look odd but they are a little bit of UK rock and roll history and as a result collectible. They were also quite respected in their day as they were good sounding instruments. Jet Harris had one as did Mont Campbell of Egg. There were also connections with Burns - Burns Weill. 
I like their quirky looks no wonder they were known as the Martian Cricket Bat! 

When I started playing in the first half of the 70s, pretty much the only instruments available to ordinary kids were British made guitars and basses from ten to fifteen years earlier. Burns and Vox might have been OK when new and treated well, but after many teenagers had had their grubby mitts on them they were really were fit for little more than the bonfire. Hence my comments, seeing things like this reminds me of the bloody awful things I had to try and learn on!

• Like 1

I’m not surprised. As I said they are collector’s pieces and those who may not play but want them for nostalgic reasons will pay for them. I wouldn’t mind one myself but not at that price. Think I’ll stick to my quirky Shergold basses! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...