Why become a member? ×

Chord growing pains

lownote

I suspect I may get sent to the headmaster for this but [whispers] I actually like the idea of bass as a melodic rather than a percussive instrument.  So booked on Mark Smith's chords course at TalkingFace.net so I can do Ralph McTell impressions with me Hohner.

Blimey, it was like being 16 again with the agony of soft flesh on guitar strings trying to bend my fingers into positions.  Sevenths shapes aren't too bad but basic triads are a nightmare to achieve, esp on a six string bass with a wide fingerbored (sic). Not a 'I've got asthma and I've just developed  a cough and fever' nightmare obv, but very, very painful by pre-Covid standards.  Anyone got any advice other than 'practice for six hours a day and it'll come right eventually'.   

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

Quite the opposite; don't practise for six hours a day..! The quickest way is to take it steady. Do a decent stint, then leave it (or practise something else...), then come back to it after a break. Make each session a little longer each week and you'll be up to speed in no time. The fastest way is to do it slowly, in increments. You might try trawling t'web to obtain a big bucket of Patience; that's the key ingredient here.
Good luck with it (and there's nowt wrong with chords, or even {gasp..! :shok: } music..! being played on a bass..! Yes, even a sixer..! ;) )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have a look at Steve Lawson’s Instagram page. He’s been doing a series of tuition videos, one of them was based on chords. He taught me a lot of the chord shapes that I use. If you’re playing a 6 string then they shouldn’t be too difficult, certainly not as difficult as on a 4 string. I voice chords quite differently on a 6 than I would on a 4.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully you can make this out. It’s my voicing for a major chord. The lowest note is the root, then the 7th, I put the 3rd on top which makes it sound clear and open. Bass chords can sound muddy if the notes are too close together.

You can move this anywhere, the lowest note like I say is the root.

111FEC1E-9260-464E-96A6-436FA9136829.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Must admit I prefer melodic lines or maybe a counter melody, I had a baritone uke kitted out EADG as an experiment, I really like it as well as complementing a standard uke nicely IMO. Fretting some chords can be a bit awkward but they don't sound muddy and I can transfer stuff I work out on that to a normal bass.

26 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

star m8... really appreciated

My bass is tuned E to C by the way, though it doesn’t really make a difference. Check out Steve’s videos though, they’re on his Instagram page.

47 minutes ago, ambient said:

It’s my voicing for a major chord. The lowest note is the root, then the 7th, I put the 3rd on top which makes it sound clear and open.

These are the sort of minimally voiced shapes used by jazz rhythm guitarists. That first one is really a major 7th chord - the plain major chord wouldn't have the 7th. 

15 minutes ago, ambient said:

My bass is tuned E to C by the way, though it doesn’t really make a difference. Check out Steve’s videos though, they’re on his Instagram page.

Sorry to be a total muppet but I'm not au fait with Instrugram.  All I can find on his page is a series of 11 micro courses on right hand technique.

Edited by lownote12

13 minutes ago, pineweasel said:

These are the sort of minimally voiced shapes used by jazz rhythm guitarists. That first one is really a major 7th chord - the plain major chord wouldn't have the 7th. 

Yeah, it contains just the main parts needed.