Why become a member? ×

Bands recording during lockdowns

Cat Burrito

Like that Rolling Stones clip etc. Anyone done this and what tips are there for bassists?

I have two bands that are going to try this, probably just filming clips on iPhones and wondered what advice there was. I have heard of the iRig that plugs into phones but was probably just going to play via a practice amp. 

I would suggest doing the audio and video separately, do a big slap at the start so that you can sync them easily. It can be done quite easily on iMovie etc. The you can mix the audio in your DAW. 

I watched a Rick Beato mixing video the other day and he said for phone speakers to boost the bass at 100K (or possibly 300K) I cant remember...

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine started a FB project with chain-bands.
People can submit lyrics, music or both and then the files get sent to the next collaborator (without checking back with the composer so everyone is free to add what they like) and so on until the song is finished.

Everybody captures a video of themselves while playing/singing etc. and sends that in too.

We keep the audio and video separated, at the end of the chain the song gets mixed and the video edited and then put together, that seems to work best.

(So my advice would be that someone starts with a click or drumloop and an instrument part and then the next one records and so on. Keep the video separated and put everything together at the end. The video could have the click count in as sound to make it easy to align video and audio).

I have already played bass on some songs but also entered two of my own songs. One of them got finished already (with me on bass of course) and I’m so proud of how it turned out considering I only knew the drummer, the rest where total strangers to me.
If anybody is interested, here are the links to the YouTube channel https://youtu.be/CyQFjRoEqrk and the Facebook page (in Dutch) https://www.facebook.com/groups/50118... 

Edited by MGB

my band did this during the lockdown too...

every one of us is now in some other city, so we recorded the sound separately - i recorded the bass to logic and then i sent this wav to our leader... he did just some easy mixing and mastering and then every member of our band (we are just three) made three or more videos and our leader put it together in some free app... i think that to record video and sound separately is much better... 

you can check it here: 

we say that it is an officially non-official video... it looks quite cheap and somehow it was our target a bit, but i find it quite funny.... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My Toto tribute band took a stab at “Dave’s Gone Skiing” 

Separate audio and video recording is a must. Pretty sure we all used iPhones for the video. Bass is recorded direct from my REDDI. Then sync’d up afterwards in the video editor. I can highly recommend Adobe Premiere Pro.

• Like 1

With my one, I had everyone record with just their phone microphones (basically just film themselves playing with no proper audio recording), but I decided that the bass wouldn't work well like that so I recorded with my Apogee Duet into macbook, while filming on my phone.

Audio mixed in my DAW and video synced up afterwards in final cut. It was not too labour intensive, so we're doing another.

• Thanks 1