Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender American Original 60's Jazz Bass

Old Horse Murphy

This was unexpected indeed, but hey ho; it sort of gives me the full set now (one P Bass with flats, One with Rounds, a Stingray and a Jazz Bass). I don't think I'll need a fiver (I've managed so far for 30-odd years) and I have a fretless I can borrow as and when. 

A friend if mine bought this new thinking that it was a 70's Jazz as he wanted the 70's pickup spacing (don't hear much difference myself) and after carefully installing the bridge cover etc. realised he'd made a mistake. Coincidentally, I'd always fancied a CAR Jazz and so a deal was done, just to help him out you understand. Having sold an Alto Sax and a few Basses recently I was in a position to do so.

I've fit it with a set of TI Flats, just to mellow it down a bit and go the action nice and low for me (took a while with the 9.5" radius, but nowhere near as painful a process as a 7.5" radius) and it plays beautifully. 

It's very well built and put together nicely, but you don't half notice the difference when compared to a Music Man which is on a whole other level of quality to my eyes at least. 

I'm usually a fan of tortoiseshell pickguards but I really fancy a white one on this. Strange times...

0DC4CC9B-C5D7-476C-8B9F-6DA43A335115.jpeg

DC0B3FD4-4DBF-493E-9F29-36D9EC219DE3.jpeg

8F80BF56-D4C0-4C43-A4AA-99DBE9ABDB18.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 6

Interesting to read that the American Original 60s Jazz has a 9 1/2" radius fingerboard - I prefer the 7 1/2" 'board on the MiM 60s Classic Jazz (of which I have two) which for some reason is also used on the MiM Jazz de Luxe.

At least your post has killed off any GAS I may have had to upgrade one or more of my MiMs to a US model!

I played one of my 60s Classics for a couple of hours this morning - sounds very 60s, very West Coast, strung with light LaBella flats and played with a pick. 

• Like 1