Why become a member? ×

May Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

So, following the top tips from Douglas last month, I bought an expansion drive and managed to save my 5 years of 'stuff'. Took a while as I got sidetracked and listened to most of it again. Unfortunately,  the realisation is that there ain't much improvement !!

Anyhow, the good people at Focusrite helped me install the correct driver on my new laptop for the interface. On the downside, all the old authentication codes have been lost on old email addresses. So Ez drummer,Ez keys,guitar rig5, and some orchestration thingy have all been sacked ! The entry this month uses all free Kontakt stuff and the guitar is simply  through the interface, with cockos reverb etc.

T'is strange, but I never realised how much stuff was in Reaper, and it's refreshing starting all over again...even so far as using the old 'two bob bit effect' on the guitar, (although I couldn't find one, so used a scratchy old plectrum....).

Ha, bear with me as I appear to have lost the track !! 😕

Finally finished it, all recorded with Wavepad and Audacity. Used a drum sample from Looperman which I treated and twisted into shape, violin bass, Epiphone Gibson Special through a Roland Micro Cube and a Zoom 504 effects pedal. Used DADGAD tuning and got a nice wonky sound in places. A bit of menace, a sliver of light then back to peril. Dedicated to Pauline from Birmingham.

Edited by upside downer
  • Like 1

I'm in at last!

Like many people, I was initially amused by the video "how to play a groove in 13/8". Hmm, I thought...🙄

I wouldn't exactly call it a groove though, and it does have bits of 6/8 too 🤪

May 2020 BassChat composition challenge entry.
I didn't make it easy for myself, the timing is somewhat fluid in places.
At least you can tell it's not programmed on a grid.
Features a first appearance of my new guiro (on the left), kindly made for me by my good friend Timi Sp8.
all done in Reaper again, Godin Solidac phased guitar, Gordon-Smith 12-string electric, US Masters fretless bass bass and US Masters (with flats) "Lead" bass with a bit of octave on.

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
  • Like 4

On 17/05/2020 at 22:08, adamg67 said:

Okay, I've done it.

I stayed very much in my comfort zone for the basic idea with a pretty straight up rock song, but tried to take some inspiration from the pic to make it a bit darker and moodier than I'd normally go. Then I jumped on a metaphorical bus out of my comfort zone, went to the airport, caught a plane, and ended up somewhere where my comfort zone was a distant memory, trying to do lyrics and vocals. This is my first ever attempt at that (ever, not just here) and I don't think anyone will need much convincing of that. It will give you some idea how bad my first attempts were when I say that the finished article is a big improvement. Anyway, I did it, and my aim is only ever to be able to sing enough to write words and vocal melodies for other people to perform.

Drums - SSD 5.5 playing an edited Groove Monkee beat.
Bass - Maruszczyk Elwood (Jazz) through a Darkglass Vintage Ultra, doing the simplest bassline ever.
Guitar - Paul Reed Smith S2 Custom 24 through amplitube, double tracked (properly, by playing everthing twice)
Vox - Err... well. I was quite pleased it only needed a few tweaks with Melodyne pitch wise, and I tried to lay off processing it too much. I still hate the sound of my own voice.

Edit - I've noticed that Soundcloud seems to fade in slightly, I should have left a moment's silence at the start but it won't let me overwrite it with a new mixdown now. - Fixed now.

There is nowt wrong with your vocal tone and pitching , excellent , most excellent !

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I won't be able to enter til tomorrow?

Go for it , ‘deadline’  is midnight tonight but there has been a little flexibility allowed in the past so get busy :)

that said , if you are taking an extra day to polish a masterpiece that will make everyone else sound like amateurs , we may think again 😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Go for it , ‘deadline’  is midnight tonight but there has been a little flexibility allowed in the past so get busy :)

that said , if you are taking an extra day to polish a masterpiece that will make everyone else sound like amateurs , we may think again 😉

All done

• Like 1