Why become a member? ×

May Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

May’s challenge is on!

Here's the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month’s winner bobbass4K...

IMG_20200202_020522.jpg

Usual rules apply:

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples or other funny business.

No bagpipes. Ever.

Deadline for entries is Sunday 24th May.

• Like 1

I figured It'd be an interesting change of pace, something a little dark and sinister. 

A little context - I took this while walking home in a state of mild inebriation at about 2am, and had absolutely no recollection of taking it until I was going through my pictures a couple of months later, whereupon it scared the bejesus out of me and I moved it to the "album covers?" folder. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is my contribution to the May 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: BobBass4K..!
An ambient track this time, composition inspired by the thought of the fractal nature of the branches and twigs in the photo. A slow build-up, using fractally-generated themes, intertwining in apparently hapless fashion, but all interlinked, combining natural earthiness with algorithmic rigor. Somewhat hypnotic; it kept me up until the early hours refining it. Was it worth it..? Hmm...
All instruments are Kontakt (Contra-bassoon, horns, Emotional Piano, archtop guitar, percussion...), excepting the Superior 3 drums (a first, for me...). Very little Fx or mastering 'pixie dust', as the quality of the instruments speak for themselves, I think.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 3

This is very odd. I have just been watching something on YouTube with my oldest boy.

I then come here, only to find Dad's opening 90 seconds, would fit that 'something' very nicely as an underscore (especially the Contra-bassoon).

That something is called, "The Saga of Noggin the Nog - King of the Nogs".

Edited by lowdown

7 hours ago, NickD said:

*Closes Cubase, unplugs computer and pours a beer*

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner! 😎

I have a strict policy of not listening to entries until mine is done , I know I would rip it up each time I listened to anyone else’s.

i do have done sounds I want to put in mine but also I’ve noodled a cool guitar riff , but I haven’t found the angle for the guitar  sounds yet :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No more than 90°, or it becomes obtuse. An error that I commonly make, unfortunately. :$

I didn’t think it needed saying that I am acute..y. 

As for angles , even at 90° I am rarely right :D

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I have a strict policy of not listening to entries until mine is done , I know I would rip it up each time I listened to anyone else’s

A policy I try to follow but, the resistance is ebbing away here.

The draw of Noggin the Nog, one of my all time favourite programmes (with Mr Postgates' wonderfull narration), is causing a wobble !!

• Haha 2

Finally is time for me too to give this a go.Working from home I was given a MacBook Air by my employer, so recently I have been having a bit of fun with GarageBand. Recorded with my Precision Classic 50 MIM and Squier John 5 Telecaster. All the rest is the standard GarageBand stuff - I did not have a chance yet to look into plugins and what not.

I am new to recording so be nice :) 

Edited by Iacopo San
  • Like 4

I'm going to let mine settle for a day or so, I like it, but I cant get it to gel together just yet but It will do as is if I cant get a better feel for it , have to say though its a good job reaper backs up every project or this one would have been done for,  a very scary 20 minutes till I sussed that beauty !  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lurksalot said:

...its a good job reaper backs up every project...

Top Tip : Reaper also has a Menu entry, just under 'Save project as...'... 'Save new version of project'. This saves the project with an incremented name ('1', then '2', then'3' etc; you get the idea...). Every time that I'm about to make a major change to my stuff, I invoke this, and carry on. Some of my projects have a dozen incremental versions; if I make a mistake (don't laugh; it could happen..!), I can call up any previous version and carry on from there. As can be imagined, I save any adjustments I make very frequently, too.
At project's end, it's simple to delete all the previous stages (I don't; I prefer to keep 'em. Not as nostalgia, but sometimes as a stepping off' point for other projects, but going in a different direction. Yes, I'm daft, no need to rub it in..!).

Hope this helps. B|

• Like 1