Why become a member? ×

Our first “streamed” gig

HazBeen

Yesterday we did a Nirvana set in support of a bar I have played a million times over the last 12 or so years with multiple bands.

Clearly a live show on location was never going to happen at the moment, so we did a livestream from our studio using an iPad, 3 iPhones and a Shure MV88. This meant we could keep a decent amount of “social distance” as well, since our studio is pretty large.

2 iPhones for visuals, 1 iPhone with the MV88 stereo mic for audio and the iPad to receive all signals and stream to Facebook. 

A first for us all, and it was bizarre how well this setup worked.

We streamed at 720p and 192kbps to ensure we didn’t have any issues. Next time we are upscaling and will add a signal from the mixer to just lift the vocals a little.... but from a mic in a room the result is pretty okay.

In case you want to take a look, the stream starts 5 mins before the gig so skip that part, we were also a little rusty but that made it very Nirvana :).... apologies for all the Dutch, but then I have lived here for far longer than the UK.

Enjoy :)

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2020 at 21:16, HazBeen said:

Yesterday we did a Nirvana set in support of a bar I have played a million times over the last 12 or so years with multiple bands.

Clearly a live show on location was never going to happen at the moment, so we did a livestream from our studio using an iPad, 3 iPhones and a Shure MV88. This meant we could keep a decent amount of “social distance” as well, since our studio is pretty large.

2 iPhones for visuals, 1 iPhone with the MV88 stereo mic for audio and the iPad to receive all signals and stream to Facebook. 

A first for us all, and it was bizarre how well this setup worked.

We streamed at 720p and 192kbps to ensure we didn’t have any issues. Next time we are upscaling and will add a signal from the mixer to just lift the vocals a little.... but from a mic in a room the result is pretty okay.

In case you want to take a look, the stream starts 5 mins before the gig so skip that part, we were also a little rusty but that made it very Nirvana :).... apologies for all the Dutch, but then I have lived here for far longer than the UK.

Enjoy :)

This is great, and a pretty simple but effective setup too! Can I ask what you used to send the signals to the iPad and stream? I'm definitely going to give this a go when it's possible. 

2 hours ago, TJ Spicer said:

This is great, and a pretty simple but effective setup too! Can I ask what you used to send the signals to the iPad and stream? I'm definitely going to give this a go when it's possible. 

Install Live: Air Remote on your iPhoneS and Live: Air Action on your iPad. If you just stream live and use max. 2 iPhones it is free too!

Although I wanted to record whilst streaming and wanted to use a 3rd phone for audio so paid some cash for that (maybe 30 quid or so).

As long as all appliances are on the same wifi network the Action app will pick up the Remote apps. The quicker and more stable the network the higher audio and video resolution.

Edited by HazBeen