Why become a member? ×

Who Woulda Thunk It?

stewblack

Never felt I got the best out of this until today. 

IMG_20200501_172035.thumb.jpg.c1c521cca64aab95fca9222c96923590.jpg

And you know what? All I did was use a pick. 

Insane the difference it made. I only just started learning to play with a pick, and thank goodness I've overcome that particular prejudice. 

• Like 4

Absolutely agree. The drummer I am working with is totally anti plectrums. I am thinking of a t-shirt for him. Front - 'stick your plectrum'. Back - 'up your re%tum' 😃.

Back on topic, can't wait for him to experience my new mustang using a .73 Dunlop with the amp set with bass at 1 o'clock, treble nearly full and high mids at one o'clock (all else flat).Oh my days, the tone is insanely good. Never thought I would put treble anywhere past 12......Sounds so damn funky and fat. 

18 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Absolutely agree. The drummer I am working with is totally anti plectrums. I am thinking of a t-shirt for him. Front - 'stick your plectrum'. Back - 'up your re%tum' 😃.

Back on topic, can't wait for him to experience my new mustang using a .73 Dunlop with the amp set with bass at 1 o'clock, treble nearly full and high mids at one o'clock (all else flat).Oh my days, the tone is insanely good. Never thought I would put treble anywhere past 12......Sounds so damn funky and fat. 

Yes! I am amazed at how much I altered my usual set up, there was zings, there were clangs, there were fresh, percussive, in your face rattles and clacks. Wonder why it suits this bass so much. 

I mean, it's not like the bass history books aren't full of finger style Ric players. 

• Like 1

I have to say, if I was playing fingerstyle exclusively, even I probably wouldn’t use my Rics a lot of the time. But I play with a pick 99% of the time, and it just suits. 

As for the drummer that is anti plectrums, just tell him he can only use his hands, no sticks. 😉

Edited by 4000
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I have to say, if I was playing fingerstyle exclusively, even I probably wouldn’t use my Rics a lot of the time. But I play with a pick 99% of the time, and it just suits. 

As for the drummer that is anti plectrums, just tell him he can only use his hands, no sticks. 😉

To be fair, he does play a bit of bass too. I turned him onto flats on his P with a foam mute so I am partially to blame🙄. However I will tell him to use only his face to drum, after I have floored him with my Mustang tone. 

4 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

To be fair, he does play a bit of bass too. I turned him onto flats on his P with a foam mute so I am partially to blame🙄. However I will tell him to use only his face to drum, after I have floored him with my Mustang tone. 

Anyone who says that you can’t play an instrument using whatever works best for you is, in my not so humble opinion, a complete cockwomble. 

Has he heard Bobby Vega? 

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Anyone who says that you can’t play an instrument using whatever works best for you is, in my not so humble opinion, a complete cockwomble. 

Has he heard Bobby Vega? 

He's heard I get high on you..... It was the track playing at my wedding when everyone was entering the service👍. Dunno about anything else... I must show him the error of his ways though. Interestingly I use exactly the same plectrums as Mr Vega - 0.73 standard Dunlops. 

This thread working in beautiful tandem with my Bruce Foxton thread has had me attacking any bass not quick enough to run with a .88 mm Jim Dunlop. Mainly Jam stuff. It has been a pleasant evening.

30 minutes ago, stewblack said:

This thread working in beautiful tandem with my Bruce Foxton thread has had me attacking any bass not quick enough to run with a .88 mm Jim Dunlop. Mainly Jam stuff. It has been a pleasant evening.

Just wait until you start digging in with a 1mm, or even a metal pick!!