Why become a member? ×

Back in the game with a Fender Player Precision in Tidepool Blue

Bassybert

After quite a few years away from playing bass, I've returned back to my spiritual home on the low end side of things, and I honestly couldn't be happier.

Quite a few years ago I traded in my 75 Jazz as p/x on an SG (Yes, I know!) so have been pretty much bass-less since then apart from the time I borrowed a friends Encore Coaster to play a few gigs (including one on the back of a lorry in a field in Kilve, Somerset where Guy Pratt was there and played it backstage in the gazebo - but that's for another time!)

Even though I've normally played a Jazz I've always hankered after a Precision as I really love the classic sound and versatility, so after shopping around for a while I took the plunge on a Tidepool Blue Player Precision. I've read great things about the new Player series and having played several MIM Fenders before I can safely say these are by far the best I have ever seen in terms of build quality, features and playability. The quality of construction is fantastic, very tidy indeed, the weight is really nice and the satin neck finish really caps it off. 

I was really taken by the Tidepool colour, as although I've always been a sunburst/rosewood aficionado, blue's my favourite colour and this particular hue is stunning - the maple really does look gorgeous next to it and the finish of the body itself is flawless.

It's a 2 piece neck with the aforementioned satin finish on the back, but with a gloss finish to the fretboard which again looks really nice. Seems narrower at the nut than other P's I've played which is nice, and the neck profile has a reassuring but flat-ish feel as you progress up the neck making it really easy to play. The action is fairly decent out of the box but I'll spend some time setting it up over the next week or so - It's nowhere near as high as it looks on the side on neck shot below, must be the lens on my mobile making it look that way.

I think Fender have got these Player basses absolutely spot on, unplugged the sustain and resonance is great with a reassuring throaty growl when plugged in. Now I need to sort a backline out!

Here are some pictures taken with my phone but will try and get some better ones later on when I can.

Feels so good to back playing bass 🙂

IMG_20200502_171218.thumb.jpg.f25c0a2c775fbc6044c145a7afc784d6.jpgIMG_20200502_124604.thumb.jpg.ba255c315cd7f56fea7764e4db32b94c.jpgIMG_20200502_171225.thumb.jpg.91872399adf68f767445b33e13af2683.jpgIMG_20200502_171238.thumb.jpg.524698d8537c0492f6bc9ce847bb2e2c.jpgIMG_20200502_171347.thumb.jpg.586876abeee963b283e97f9a4358623e.jpgIMG_20200502_171335.thumb.jpg.fc524a337a9b061d6e9959e5c4a26528.jpg

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 7

Congrats, have to say I agree, best MIM Fenders I’ve ever played. The post 2012s were very good but these Players have just improved on those in all the right points, better feeling necks, better sounding pickups.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I've a Buttercream Player Precision which with its playable neck is very user friendly.

The buttercream was my first choice colour - I saw that and thought it looked gorgeous until I saw they did the tidepool, then there was only ever going to be one winner!

Nice to see a fellow Somerset player @yorks5stringer , I used to work in Hambridge which isn't far from you at all 🙂