Why become a member? ×

Shortscale Bass Comparison in Pictures

anzoid

Short scale player here too in group A, although I use an Epiphone Archtop bass with my band as it suits our vibe perfectly. Whilst being short scale the bridge position makes it feel more medium scale to me when reaching the 1st fret.

For home playing it's a Fender Short Scale Jazz which is nice and compact.

9 minutes ago, solo4652 said:

So you're a Group B player then! Ha! What basses do you have at the moment, please?

I’m still looking for the holy grail, but ss wise I have the Harley Benton HB-60, Epi de-luxe masterbuilt, Squier Bronco, Rob Allen Mouse, Ibanez SRC60. It’s quite an eclectic bunch!

Not sure whether I'm "a" or "b": appreciate the compactness of all my current shortscales, particularly the reach being better (I've not tried the Chowny on a strap though...), but would prefer to be playing full scale. I suppose the SBMM Stingray is the most like a regular bass in terms of looks, the Warwick does look slightly off somehow if you're used to the normal Corvettes, it's a bit stumpy... but plays really nicely. The surprise contender is the definitely the Cort Action Junior. They gave it the wrong name and, I think, positioned it wrongly in the market as it's a very good instrument for the money. I've upgraded the bridge and tuners to Hipshot components, but didn't really need to. Was going to drop an EMG 40TWX into, but when everything arrived realised would have needed to do some serious mods to fit everything in - beyond me.

@scrumpymike How do you rate the Caspar? That is one I do have serious GAS for - visits to the Maruszczyk website to spec up my own version are really not helping. So please tell me it's awful and sounds terrible and is completely worthless...

2 hours ago, anzoid said:

@scrumpymike How do you rate the Caspar? That is one I do have serious GAS for - visits to the Maruszczyk website to spec up my own version are really not helping. So please tell me it's awful and sounds terrible and is completely worthless...

Well, that's a good question.  The fretless passive 4 I recently traded on here for my Spector Bantam is the third one I've had and they are just exquisite IMHO.  I regretted selling the first one (fretted P4) almost immediately and soon replaced it with a headless fretted active 4.  Moved that on to get other stuff - and again regretted being without one.  So, here we are again!

My first...

http://Cazpar-4-Me.jpg

My second...

http://IMG-0059-thumb-jpg-df8b149491982ec831bfc

The latest (and last, if I can get to grips with the fretless board)...

http://Cazpar-fretless-02.jpg

• Like 1

Should also have explained that my only gig nowadays is a classic rock covers band, into which a Cazpar really doesn't fit.  So my head keeps telling me I shouldn't have one - but my heart keeps disagreeing 🙂  I feel I can justify the fretless on the grounds that it's something completely different and a new challenge.

12 hours ago, Bafflegab said:

I’m liking that the Warwick SS and the SS Stingray line up almost exactly the same in each pic.  I have the wick, and was thinking about adding the ray... 

I'm in the very fortunate position of having both the Warwick (in natural) and the Stingray (in daphne blue). Sitting down they line up pretty well, the nut of the Warwick sits about half an inch further to the left than the Stingray. On a strap it feels further but still close - could be down to the fact that on the Warwick the distance from the top horn strap button to the centre of the neck is about 14.5cm and on the Stingray only just over 9cm. I'm not big on geometry, but I guess that makes a slight difference, and isn't something I included on the original images.

• Like 1

My first post! I had a Squier Bronco last year for recording at home. Intonation wasn't great on it, so I moved it on. There's a Gibson SG faded EB3 and a standard EB3 about a 4 hour drive away from me, so once restrictions relax, I might take an (essential) trip to try them out. I like the fact they sound very different to a p bass for example.

The standard is more expensive than the faded obviously. Any players of these recent ones?

Would love if Dano released a short scale 59 bass.

On 02/05/2020 at 17:39, Trueno said:

Wot... no Mustang?

On 02/05/2020 at 18:23, hooky_lowdown said:

This. The foundation for short scales.

What?

I mean, WHAT?

As in, W T actual F?

bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

• Haha 1

Wilcock do a very nice looking short scale bass.  I have an Italia Maranello Cavo short scale.  I bought it because it is light - around 7lb and easy to handle.  It plays very nicely, even in my hands!

P1020285 (450x800).jpg

• Like 3

On 12/05/2020 at 14:25, scrumpymike said:

What strings are you using?

Just the stock ones that came with it - I think they're EB Slinkies though not 100% sure. They're what I tended to use on my longscale basses way back when and work nicely on the shortscale. Can't remember what's on the other ones...

Intrigued as to your thoughts on the Spector Bantam you moved on Mike. I've never owned a Spector though have played someone else's 5-string Legend type thing. I love the looks of the Bantam, but overall have never been drawn to the longscale 4-string Spectors because of the (for me) wide necks.

1 hour ago, anzoid said:

Just the stock ones that came with it - I think they're EB Slinkies though not 100% sure.

Intrigued as to your thoughts on the Spector Bantam you moved on Mike. I've never owned a Spector though have played someone else's 5-string Legend type thing. I love the looks of the Bantam, but overall have never been drawn to the longscale 4-string Spectors because of the (for me) wide necks.

Thanks for confirming you're still on the OE strings.  Re Bantam, it's an exceptionally nice bass but the neck and fretboard were a bit too wide and flat for me.  Also worth mentioning that the EMGs won't suit everybody although I know some players love them.

I currently have 34" (Fender Jazz), 32" (Ibanez Mezzo) and 30" (Gibson SG) basses. It's OK to call me confused. 😉

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a Supro Huntington shortie with my "it ain't stimulatin' me" check. Decided to check this thread out and was surprised not to see the Huntington included. Would love your thoughts!

https://suprousa.com/guitars/huntington-bass/

2042PMN_front-flip-e1498657724324.jpg

Edited by TheMaartian
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TheMaartian said:

I currently have 34" (Fender Jazz), 32" (Ibanez Mezzo) and 30" (Gibson SG) basses. It's OK to call me confused. 😉

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a Supro Huntington shortie with my "it ain't stimulatin' me" check. Decided to check this thread out and was surprised not to see the Huntington included. Would love your thoughts!

https://suprousa.com/guitars/huntington-bass/

2042PMN_front-flip-e1498657724324.jpg

I have to admit those have rather passed under my radar :) When I did the first verison of the picture it was really only of the basses I was interested in trying/buying... and then I added more. When I get time over the weekend I'll add in a Supro - looks rather nice.

8 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Thanks for confirming you're still on the OE strings.  Re Bantam, it's an exceptionally nice bass but the neck and fretboard were a bit too wide and flat for me.  Also worth mentioning that the EMGs won't suit everybody although I know some players love them.

I generally like EMGs, but flat and wide doesn't really work for me :( Went hunting last night and the width at the nut appears to 1.65" (42mm??) which is beyond my confort zone...