Why become a member? ×

Bench Reconfiguration Diary

Si600

I have just googled this on Benchcrafted. No wonder I was confused, the thing is completely misnamed. According to their site is it an X shaped device compromising two hinged arms, which keeps the bench jaws parallel. 

Quick history lesson:  St.Peter was crucified upside down, so St Peter's Cross is an inverted cross. You see it on old parish churches of St Peter.  St Andrew was crucified on an X shaped cross, which is why the Scottish Saltaire is a white X. Both symbols are well known within the Christian,  and especially Catholic, tradition.

I had assumed the St Peter's cross in this device was an inverted cross, somehow bracing the lower part of the leg. Clearly the St Peter's cross in this case was misnamed by someone and in ignorance it stuck.

https://www.classichandtools.com/acatalog/BenchCrafted-Crisscross-Retro-BC-CCR.html#SID=1821

Edited by Richard R
Added URL
  • Like 1

I've just seen I've got 8 followers! Are you all mad, or desperate for something to read?

@Richard R is correct about the name being wrong, and has fortunately saved me from having to explain how it works. 😉 I didn't know about the different ways of crucifying saints either.

Name wise, it seems to have come from a book called The Amateur Carpenter and Builder from c1900 which has a diagram in it labeled. "Fig. 243. Croix de St. Pierre" and it's been run with ever since.

I'll call it a scissor mechanism from now on 😉

Edited by Si600
  • Like 1

I dragged myself back into the cellar to make a start on the chop. It's middle is going to be 5 lengths of 18 x 60 x X mm. I've been putting it off because it's hand cutting and I'm lazy.

It's a case of cut a strip, true up the edge of the big board and cut the next.

IMG_20200621_160403.jpg

IMG_20200621_162216.jpg

I managed to remember that the middle mortice thing needs to be done before gluing so here it is marked out ready to be done. It's the weekly family Skype call now, so you'll have to wait a bit for any more progress.

IMG_20200621_165514.jpg

Edited by Si600
  • Like 2

I'm baaaaack!

The first two pictures are me showing off. Obviously everyone else can hand plane a square face on a bit of wood, but I'm new enough to it to still be pleased by it, so tough!

IMG_20200622_200822.jpg

IMG_20200622_200842.jpg

So having learnt from doing the legs that cutting the slot for the scissor mechanism after you've glued the leg blank is a pain in the derriere I'm doing them before applying any glue. I've screwed the strips together and once it's ready I'll use one of the strips as a template and drill for dowels.

I don't think it'll need them, something else will break before the chop gets anywhere near it's limit.

IMG_20200622_203258.jpg

Hacking the hole out. I cut the ends and then a series of slots for splitting into. I'm not sure why they all lean though, I thought I was being careful with the saw. The end ones are fine, which are the important ones.

IMG_20200622_210840.jpg

I also went shopping to increase my tool stable. 4 chisels from vintagetoolshop.com, they look like they've been used to open paint tins or something, they're all rounded off and a router plane from eBay.

Edited by Si600
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Si600 said:

IMG_20200622_200822.jpg

IMG_20200622_200842.jpg

Things I remember from woodwork lessons:  measure twice and mark up clearly, always cut on the wastewood side of the line, planing anything square is sodding difficult. Planing it square and not ½" undersized is sodding impossible!

Well done!

• Thanks 1

I have done stuff, honest. It's mostly revolved around getting the workshop reorganised. The bench drill now has its own table for instance.

What I have managed to do is cut out the middle slot.

Fig. 1

IMG_20200625_170612.jpg

It's a bit of a mess to be honest. I didn't do very well reading the grain in places so I've dipped below my lines. Planing it got rid of the worst of it, but it's not great.

I cut the middle one off to make the hole for the screw, and made a housing dado in one of the others. The first outing for my new toy: a router plane.

Edited by Si600
  • Like 2

Apropos this.

I've also been distracted by having to fit a mortice lock in the garden gate. I've just got to the handle to find that the square bar is too big for the hole in the lock body.

Ho hum. More bench may happen later. It's proper hot though. 28 (82.4 for Americans and old people) according to the thermometer thing.

IMG_20200626_091600.jpg

• Like 1

My workshop is in the cellar if that makes you feel better.

The way the land falls means that I have some natural light from a small window and a door out into the garden, which may not help of course 😉

2 hours ago, Si600 said:

My workshop is in the cellar if that makes you feel better.

OK - let me re-word that.  I'm starting to get proper cellar GAS. xD

Natural light???  I've heard people talk about such stuff but, well, what does that look like?  Can you eat it?

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Haha 2

I've always wanted a proper cellar.

When I came to Derby in 1988 I had a room in an old house on Friar Gate.  The landlady was cool and she'd let us use the basement for practice.  It was proper old Victorian brick with arched ceilings and divided into several rooms.  It was ideal.

I miss that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

When I came to Derby in 1988 I had a room in an old house on Friar Gate.  The landlady was cool and she'd let us use the basement for practice.  It was proper old Victorian brick with arched ceilings and divided into several rooms.  It was ideal.

Practice room

Wine cellar

Love nest

Dungeon...

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 20:22, Si600 said:

I also went shopping to increase my tool stable

I’m not sure if you have one Si, but there’s a few good Stanley no78 rebate planes on eBay at the moment, one is about £15-£20,  it needs a good clean up but well worth it, I paid about £50 for mine many years ago 🙂

• Like 1