Why become a member? ×

Bench Reconfiguration Diary

Si600

I installed these little 5mm thick plates for the bottom of the scissor mechanism to run on, it pushes it out far enough for the chop to be parallel.

IMG_20200703_165629.jpg

IMG_20200703_164928.jpg

And now with the fore edge repair planed to fit. The chop is a smidgen short, so the new face is a little proud. Anyone would think it was deliberate.

Varnish and final fit to come. I had hoped to be done today, but waiting for extra glue to dry put paid to that.

IMG_20200703_171301.jpg

IMG_20200703_171233.jpg

Edited by Si600
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

So the next question is... what you building with it? 

Oh Crom, don't ask awkward questions! There's a bitsa 5er in the not too distant future, along with a chisel stand, a deep box picture frame and other random projects as and when I can think of them.

Edited by Si600
  • Like 3

Because I neglected the cheese wire warriors over the last few updates they got the big reveal first.

It's finished!!  Three coats of varnish over the weekend, interrupted by going away and it's now installed.  Sensible handle for @Stub Mandrel.

It's got a maximum opening of 250 mm, any more than that then the screw disengages. Side to side, is technically the width of the room, realistically, a meter would probably be enough.  Likewise depth is also about a meter, but that's only because the floor gets in the way.  1500mm maybe before the end is too high to work on?  If the leg met the chop all the way down then you'd get an even clamping force all the way to the floor, about 900 mm, long enough for a through neck ;)

So there it is.  It's a little rough in places and certainly not perfect but it works, it's solid and I suspect will break whatever goes in the jaws before it does.  The weak point is the M6 coach bolts, I think they'll bend first.  If they need to be bigger in the future it's not a huge job to do. 

I hope you've enjoyed the trip into the Heart of Darkness, and that all the mistakes have been made by me for you, should any of you want to make a variation of it.

IMG_20200706_180009.jpg

IMG_20200706_180017.jpg

IMG_20200706_180032.jpg

IMG_20200706_180106.jpg

Edited by Si600
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Er... How did you get your knob to go through that eyelet?  (I'm on about the handle.)

Magic.

It's not attached when you buy it, so just glued on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Si600 said:

IMG_20200706_180032.jpg

IMG_20200706_180106.jpg

'Tis a thing of beauty!  And, as often happens of this forum,  I find I have been on a journey from ignorance that something even exists,  through quizzical puzzling about how it works, through amazement that someone is making one, to deciding I will really really need one!

Hats off again, and thank you for a most interesting build diary! 😀

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Si600 said:

Because I neglected the cheese wire warriors over the last few updates they got the big reveal first.

It's finished!!  Three coats of varnish over the weekend, interrupted by going away and it's now installed.  Sensible handle for @Stub Mandrel.

It's got a maximum opening of 250 mm, any more than that then the screw disengages. Side to side, is technically the width of the room, realistically, a meter would probably be enough.  Likewise depth is also about a meter, but that's only because the floor gets in the way.  1500mm maybe before the end is too high to work on?  If the leg met the chop all the way down then you'd get an even clamping force all the way to the floor, about 900 mm, long enough for a through neck ;)

So there it is.  It's a little rough in places and certainly not perfect but it works, it's solid and I suspect will break whatever goes in the jaws before it does.  The weak point is the M6 coach bolts, I think they'll bend first.  If they need to be bigger in the future it's not a huge job to do. 

I hope you've enjoyed the trip into the Heart of Darkness, and that all the mistakes have been made by me for you, should any of you want to make a variation of it.

IMG_20200706_180009.jpg

IMG_20200706_180017.jpg

IMG_20200706_180032.jpg

IMG_20200706_180106.jpg

I think you may be surprised at how much punishment those M^6 coach bolts will take

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Oh lackaday! Woe! Lamentations!

This has just happened. 

20210408_125658.jpg

It's the insert which I had to fit after knocking the wrong corner of the chop off. Unsurprisingly I suppose, it's the top edge of long grain and taking all the force of clamping boards on the edges.

However, what to do about it. I've got some oak, mahogany or ash to go in there, but it will be long grain again but bigger, or I can go pine again. Or... say nuts to it and fit a whole new face to the vice with the grain running vertically. Then I lose the massive flat clamping surface.

Or a short length of vertical grain inset into the chop.

Edited by Si600

24 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Ply I have, 12mm from memory. Would you cut the break out and square it off, or just leave it as is?

I’d cut the break out Si, and replace it for support behind the ply so it’s solid, in case you want to clamp something on the edge 

• Like 1