Why become a member? ×

Bench Reconfiguration Diary

Si600

23 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m not sure if you have one Si, but there’s a few good Stanley no78 rebate planes on eBay at the moment, one is about £15-£20,  it needs a good clean up but well worth it, I paid about £50 for mine many years ago 🙂

Get thee behind me tempter 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That's not a cellar, @Si600   It's an apartment!

It's the same footprint as the house, something like 7.5m wide and 17m long. Our last house including garden in West Haddon would comfortably fit inside the building footprint.

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What is it about Europe and tiles!

I have no idea. I'm assuming that as it's a cellar it won't matter if a bit of damp comes through the wall, unlike plaster they won't fall off, and they're easy to clean?

• Like 2

Enough of the silliness and thread hijacking... Even though I started it.

This is where things had got to. The middle three have their cut out, dados and screw holes.

IMG_20200628_140023.jpg

Made up some cheeks to go along side the block of five long ones.

IMG_20200628_162419.jpg

Through holes were drilled as lengths were finished, using the first one as a template to reduce any dimension creep.

Cut some dowels and then dropped everything trying to move it. Looks like a child's construction toy at the moment. Fortunately I'd marked up which bit went where.

IMG_20200628_163137.jpg

Woah, it's halfway there, wo-oh haven't got a prayer

IMG_20200628_163922.jpg

In a sort of self deprecating way I'd like to say how surprised and relieved I was that it all went together, but I'm not. In this instance I fully expected it to go together.

IMG_20200628_164655.jpg

IMG_20200628_164644.jpg

It's oversized and not even at the moment. Going by how the legs ended up I decided to build the chop up and then plane it to flat and square. I may regret that later of course.

Edited by Si600
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Truss rod next...

Funny you should say that...

Start with a length of metal. Metal I understand, it doesn't do weird things like splitting or randomly bending. It's dimensionally stable, you mill it, drill it or cut it and it stays in the same shape as when you left it.

No idea what it is, normal mild I'd guess.

IMG_20200628_183554.jpg

Those who were paying attention, or have done their research, which excludes me at the moment, will know that as this cross thing slides in the channels it doesn't need to be fully rounded on the end.

IMG_20200628_193806.jpg

That, plus laziness, brings this. Hopefully it'll be enough, TIM will tell.

IMG_20200628_195609.jpg

Hole at one end to hang it, hole in the middle to spin it.

IMG_20200628_195614.jpg

Voila, le croix de St. Pierre. Or St. Andrew, or a scissor mechanism. It's symmetrical in length both ways, which means I got the hole in the middle in the right place :)

IMG_20200628_201002.jpg

Temporary installation to show off.

IMG_20200628_201103.jpg

Closed. There may need to be a little relief for the bolt to go into the recess, but it'll never be fully closed simply because the ends don't line up when the vice is shut.

IMG_20200628_201115.jpg

Edited by Si600
  • Like 4

On 19/06/2020 at 19:37, Si600 said:

Oh, and to steal a quote from the doyen of Build Diaries, this is how I'm doing it. It doesn't necessarily follow that this is a) the right way, b) the only way, or c) it'll ultimately even work.

Now there is a word that I never f ucking expected to read on basschat .... unless someone was misspelling “dozen” 

• Haha 1

Riiiiiiight. So.

I took the clamps off it this afternoon and offered it up just because I was a little bit squeee about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Well. It was too long, which I knew. So I lopped the end off and hung the chop on the scissor doohickey to see what happened.

Holy Instant Saint Maker Batman (see DoI thread, if you dare, for context ;))! It looks like it's going to work. I was about 90% sure that it would though.

It needs a bit (lot) of tidying with a plane, and the screw fitting and probably fettling, but I present to you a (mostly) finished leg vice.

IMG_20200629_171737.jpg

IMG_20200629_171758.jpg

IMG_20200629_171822.jpg

IMG_20200629_171811.jpg

• Like 2