Why become a member? ×

Low to mid priced J bass recomdations

CliveT

I'm looking for a J bass up to £400.  So far I'm looking at:

Squier Classic Vibe

G&L Tribute

Vibtage Icon ( do like the look of the relicing)

Bass Centre Jive bass

Sire V2

What else is worth looking at?  How good are those listed above ?   I want something I can gig out and am used to a good P bass currently. 

Edited by CliveT

I nabbed a Squier CV Jazz locally for a massive bargain used. Added a new wiring loom and pick ups and it still came in under £250.

If you're happy to have a hunt you'll find great deals. I'm happily (or was) gigging the bass with no qualms. Mine is passive as I don't really need an active EQ - have a pre-amp on my pedal board. There are other good options if you prefer more modern features but it's hard to beat a Passive jazz. Oh and I resprayed mine Sherwood Green! I like mine alot, 'tis quite the playable little fella and sounds great!

14612DA7-211C-469A-9919-B965FB0271EA.jpeg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 4

I had an L2000 Tribute for a while, it's a nice bass to play, quite a chunky P / MM StingRay style neck. Unfortunately, the only thing I didn't like about it was the sound.

Couldn't find a usable sound in there unfortunately. Tried all the passive & active combinations, just didn't "sparkle" for me.

I would certainly say try and look for a second hand MIM Fender Jazz, though any of the ones you mentioned should easily fit your brief.

Good luck.

All four of those basses listed are decent. None stand head and shoulders above any other. My advice would be to choose one which you like the look of the best.

I really like Vintage icon basses, the best bang for buck of those listed imho. With the icon bass some of the worn patches look a little naff, the wood is too bright/new looking, if you use some 800 grit sandpaper and lightly go over those area's, then use some medium brown wood stain, the darker look to the wood looks sooooooo much better and authentic! 😎

The only makes I have any experience of from those are Squier and Vintage. I have a VM77 Jazz and it’s a very good bass, and as per Hookys comments Vintage are def worth a look, I have one of their Precisions and it really is a great quality instrument. Neither are good for the money, they’re just good in their own rights, imo both could be double their actual prices and they’d still be worth it.

Although the Vintage Icon is a nice playing bass, the relicing on the one I had for a while was really really rubbish... almost clinical relicing, no way would any of it have been done by real playing - unless you could create perfectly straight lines by accident. Sound, feel, quality etc. were all really good for the money. But not the relicing.

if shape does not need to be of the classic J but you're more after passive two single coil pickups then I bought a 2nd hand yamaha bbn4, taiwanese made light small body super nice neck 24 fret jazz killer sound, replaced jack socket and it could do with the cavity screening but can't be bothered, really nice bass I got for less than 150 quid

word of caution on some of your shortlisted basses - if you buy without playing first you may be surprised with how heavy some of them can be

I also own a G&L L2k, my go to most favourite bass ever - but it's not a jazz, just isn't. two uberpowerful humbuckers and a chunky neck (although newer tributes have apparently a more manageable profile) give you a super versatile cut through bass but it's not a jazz sound

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I really like Vintage icon basses, the best bang for buck of those listed imho. With the icon bass some of the worn patches look a little naff, the wood is too bright/new looking, if you use some 800 grit sandpaper and lightly go over those area's, then use some medium brown wood stain, the darker look to the wood looks sooooooo much better and authentic! 😎

Ha! Yep, I did exactly the same thing with my relic Vintage P Bass. It was quite a surprise at first to find that some of the "bare" wood was actually a colour. It's still a great bass for the money though.

Thanks for the replies.  

I already have a MIM Fender fretless Jazz and think the quality is good.   Not thought about the Yamaha either so will look out for them too.

The Vintage Icon does sound interesting though and from comments about as well as reviews is worth a look.  How does it play compared to a Fender with regards to feel and sound?

Andertons have quite a few Sire V7's on sale at the moment at the sub £400 mark.  I have 2 of these (one fretless) and I think I they are amazing for the money.  There's a choice of colours and necks, the 18v active electronics are great but you also have passive switching, and they are really well put together.  Certainly worth a look.

Screenshot_20200503-083002.png

Doing some more research online the Bass Collection Jive basses do look really good for the money.  Rosewood fingerboards, slim neck profiles and great colour choices.  I think I need to wait until I get out and can try a few basses before I buy but the more I look the more options there seem to be.  

I have a G&L M2000 Tribute - very good bass - and not just for the money.

If I'd bought this when I first started playing again I might only have one bass...anybody who knows me will probably be laughing in disbelief...it is a very good bass though.

Add the Harley Benton JB-75MN series to your list. They get a lot of love in the bass world and consistently good reviews with a quality that belies the price. With the Wilkinson hardware (pickups rebadged to Roswell) I cant understand how they manage to turn a profit! They come in blacks natural and sunburst

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_75mn_black_vintage_series.htm?o=19&search=1588154335

PS, if you fancy something slightly different, they now make a sandberg California inspired “enhanced” jazz bass (and a P option) with a MM pickup at the bridge. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_enhanced_mj_4mn_natural.htm?o=8&search=1588709550

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I have a G&L M2000 Tribute - very good bass - and not just for the money.

If I'd bought this when I first started playing again I might only have one bass...anybody who knows me will probably be laughing in disbelief...it is a very good bass though.

Mick, you won’t even convince yourself with that l, let alone anyone else 🤣

11 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Add the Harley Benton JB-75MN series to your list. They get a lot of love in the bass world and consistently good reviews with a quality that belies the price. With the Wilkinson hardware (pickups rebadged to Roswell) I cant understand how they manage to turn a profit! They come in blacks natural and sunburst

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_jb_75mn_black_vintage_series.htm?o=19&search=1588154335

PS, if you fancy something slightly different, they now make a sandberg California inspired “enhanced” jazz bass (and a P option) with a MM pickup at the bridge. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_enhanced_mj_4mn_natural.htm?o=8&search=1588709550

Roswell pickups (http://www.roswellpickups.com/) are their own thing, no connection to Wilkinson.

I have a set of the Roswell Alnico5 J pickups out of a JB75 bought s/h on here and they sound surprisingly good. I replaced the ceramic pickups in my 2008 MIM Fender J with them. 

For that money, you can get a second hand one of the earlier Chinese made Squier Classic Vibes (and probably still have change)
I stress the "Chinese made" versions, as they are absolutely cracking basses. There were a couple for sale on here recently.

The newer CV's are made in Indonesia. They're nice basses - pretty well made, feel nice to play, and they do some nice colours.
But those earlier Chinese ones are several steps above, in terms of build quality, feel and finish. They sound great too, the pickups and electrics are pretty good
I'm sure they'll be future collectibles.

My jazz is one of the lovely Fender Roadworn series, and it's great. But if I did need a Jazz, for that budget (i.e. if a MIJ / CIJ was too expensive) I'd definitely be looking for a Chinese CV Jazz 
Of course, these are just my thoughts :)

Edited by Marc S

I’ve had in excess of 35 fender jazz basses, mostly Mia and mim, and for your budget I would go for a s/h mexican  fender jazz,   they are also easy to upgrade if you ever wanted to,    it’s also worth looking at Tokai jazz, I bought one for very little money and it’s superb 🙂

11 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I’m currently selling a 2019 Mex Jazz in white with a maple neck and it’s an absolute cracker.

It’s a little less refined than the US jazz but it’s fantastically well made. 

Is it for sale here ?