Why become a member? ×

Hi from Chester

GeeJayW

Hi guys, been playing guitar (poorly or about average depending who asks :) ) for a couple of decades. Anyway, thought it was about time I had a go at bass, mainly for some recording stuff I'm playing with. I like playing blues and classic rock.

So last week I ordered a Harley Benton B-450 Progressive Series in white from Thomann, which arrived yesterday. Must say it's not bad at all. Neck is straight, relief is about right, A-string intonation needed a tweak and the action is OK. I'm currently using it into a mixer via a Zoom G5 multi-FX unit with minimal effects (Chorus seems a nice option) and then into Garageband on an iMac27. I don't have a bass amp right now, that may change in the future, may not.

FWIW, my favourite bass players include: Chris Squire, John Paul Jones, Geezer, The Ox, Nathan East and Tal Winkenfeld.

So, my journey to the dark side begins...

Cheers!

Edited by GeeJayW
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2020 at 12:04, GeeJayW said:

Hi guys, been playing guitar (poorly or about average depending who asks :) ) for a couple of decades. Anyway, thought it was about time I had a go at bass, mainly for some recording stuff I'm playing with. I like playing blues and classic rock.

So last week I ordered a Harley Benton B-450 Progressive Series in white from Thomann, which arrived yesterday. Must say it's not bad at all. Neck is straight, relief is about right, A-string intonation needed a tweak and the action is OK. I'm currently using it into a mixer via a Zoom G5 multi-FX unit with minimal effects (Chorus seems a nice option) and then into Garageband on an iMac27. I don't have a bass amp right now, that may change in the future, may not.

FWIW, my favourite bass players include: Chris Squire, John Paul Jones, Geezer, The Ox, Nathan East and Tal Winkenfeld.

So, my journey to the dark side begins...

Cheers!

Welcome aboard.  There's quite a community of us in Chester and its environs and quite a variety of gear too, so if you ever fancy trying a particular piece of kit don't hesitate to put the call out - someone local might have it covered.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 18:37, afterimage said:

Welcome  sounds like you got a excellent guitar 

For the money, it's surprisingly good. The pickup routs could be more accurate/tidy and the neck pocket may get a tweak one day. May also stone the fret-ends at some point just to get rid of some burrs. But as long as I fret it properly, it doesn't buzz. The active and passive modes are fine. Just need to get used to it and learn some lines. After playing it for most of the weekend, my Les Paul feels tiny... :)

On 05/05/2020 at 09:45, Bass Culture said:

Welcome aboard.  There's quite a community of us in Chester and its environs and quite a variety of gear too, so if you ever fancy trying a particular piece of kit don't hesitate to put the call out - someone local might have it covered.

Thanks. @lurksalot is my friend and neighbour. We were in a band together for a few years, mainly playing in and around Chester (Chester Bells and Flookersbrook when Lee Brooker was running them and some other pubs like Kings Head, Rugby Club beer festival etc..) plus some gigs further afield. Everyone was always friendly towards us, never had any hassle at all. Looking forward to playing some bass, but probably won't be gigging on bass though I guess should never say never... :)

On 05/05/2020 at 09:49, Frank Blank said:

Morning.

Morning! :)

Edited by GeeJayW