Why become a member? ×

Dingwall

timmo

I was hoping you'd get some replies from actual owners, but since you're getting none at all, this is my take on the then new NG after a quick play at NAMM a couple of years ago. I was GASsing madly, but I discovered that a Dingwall is too big and heavy for me - and playing on fanned frets was to me, at least at first encounter, rather baffling and uncomfortable.

Bear in mind that I am petite and my hands are tiny; all my basses are small-bodied, 34 inch scale, strings spacing 16.5mm at the bridge... you see where I'm going. Practically the opposite of that Dingwall. I do love looking at all their models, though, and coveting them no matter what. :)

I think we have had a couple of threads about the lefty Dingwalls here - I'll have a search.

I have a Dingwall AB1 (not left handed, however) and have no problem with the fan frets at all. This morning was spent swapping between that and my Roscoe Century without issue (both 5ers). It takes a few minutes to get used to the fans when you first pick it up but not difficult. Chords are the only issue for me on a fan fret, but seeing as I never play them in a real situation, not worth considering for me.

It is also very light and the difference between it and my Roscoe (solid 5a maple) is extremely noticeable. Different models and woods will make a difference, of course.

Although I mostly play the Roscoe at the moment, for 2019 the Dingwall was my go to bass. Love it.

• Like 1

Thanks. I am attracted to them by the fan frets  as they look more natural. I have quitevsmall hands so thought if might be easier. It is virtually impossible to try left handed  so always a gamble.

I had never heard of Nolly Getgood until a week ago. I don't like his music much now I have looked. I believe the main difference is the Darkglass preamp in the NG, and the pickup position over the standard Evolutuon. As I have no interest in Periphery, i am not sure if it is worth the extra cash.  I read the NG has a MM vibe and the standard is Jazz vibe

Thanks forbthe replies

Edited by timmo
  • Like 1

The standard Combustion has EMG BT 07 3 band pre amps today. Not sure if they have always been the same. The AB1 is way out of my price range. They are nearly double the cost  of an Evolution. I bet they are good though

• 4 months later...

Not lefties but love both of mine.

Both are light weight especially the ABZ,that is very light.

Build quality on both is excellent.

Fan frets are not a problem,I adapted to them in just a few minutes.

I sold all of my vintage style basses after I got my first Dingwall as they are just so much better & more comfortable to play.

BTW I owned one of the older combustions with the 2 band preamp & think they sound very bland,the later ones are a massive improvement.

20200727_142859.jpg

Edited by artisan