Why become a member? ×

Whitesnake bas query

dmccombe7

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Watched it again and managed to freeze it on the bass and it does have a scratchplate like a P bass but doesn't look like a normal P pick up.

Dave

I wouldn't have thought that Alembic would have done a bass that looked so much like a P bass. Back in the day when there wasn't so much choice in the marketplace, guys would just get a 70s Fender and keep modding it to try until it met their demands / was unique. Of course, this was when no one realised how much unmodded ones would be worth 30 years later and how much they were reducing the resale value...! 

• Like 1

Its a Fender. Neil used to mod a lot of his basses and always played in stereo as he said he didn’t like a clanky sound and he reasoned that being in stereo helped avoid this. I’ve got an interview with him somewhere from way back. There used to be one of his Arias (along with Cozy’s drums) at John Sykes’ studio near me, which is where one of my old bands used to rehearse and record. Played nicely, lower action than I expected. 

I think he’s playing that bass in my Whitesnake programme from 1980, although whether he used it live at the gigs I saw I really can’t quite remember; I think he may have. I ever find the interview amongst my hundreds of guitar mags I’ll let you know, assuming I didn’t bin it in my last cull. I think it might have been in International Musician and Recording World. I really should get rid of some!

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

I think he’s playing that bass in my Whitesnake programme from 1980, although whether he used it live at the gigs I saw I really can’t quite remember; I think he may have. I ever find the interview amongst my hundreds of guitar mags I’ll let you know, assuming I didn’t bin it in my last cull. I think it might have been in International Musician and Recording World. I really should get rid of some!

I saw them on that tour. Have the programme here but it's a typically low grade item. Have taken a quick snap of the pics of Neil but they don't add much. The b&w shot is really that horribly underexposed in the program. The yellow border picture is his Kramer. The last one is the modded P bass with the 51-57 Telecaster-shaped headstock.

snake.jpg

Edited by Baceface

1 hour ago, EMG456 said:

Ah - a big Strat bass with whammy - excellent!

He actually sold that on here a few years ago. I was going to put a link on but the pictures have gone - blame Photobucket.

I first saw it in a magazine article in the early 90s and at one time looked at building a similar one but I couldn't get the proportions right with a long scale P body . Pre internet I didn't have much to refer to. 

The bridge pickup looks very similar to the dual coil that Fender used to put into the Jazz deluxe (I think that's what it was called). I made something similar a couple of weeks ago to replace the one in my Hondo Alien, using a pair of jazz single coils, a dremel and some araldite.

1 hour ago, el borracho said:

He actually sold that on here a few years ago. I was going to put a link on but the pictures have gone - blame Photobucket.

I first saw it in a magazine article in the early 90s and at one time looked at building a similar one but I couldn't get the proportions right with a long scale P body . Pre internet I didn't have much to refer to. 

Thanks - I had a hankering for doing that to a Rick 4001 many years ago- unlike some other Frankenstien ideas I had, this one never came to fruition. Nice to learn I was not alone in my madness.😀