Jump to content
spectoremg

BBC4, 9.30, The Shadows at 60

Recommended Posts

I had just looked to see what interesting music show was on BBC4 tonight. Guess I'll have to make my own entertainment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched guitar heros at the BBC. Can't recall how many times I've seen those clips now. Whispering Bob is still around, bring back Old Grey Whistle test with some contemporary acts. Be better than whatever shíte Jools Holland is peddling! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jonse said:

Whispering Bob is still around, bring back Old Grey Whistle test with some contemporary acts. Be better than whatever shíte Jools Holland is peddling! 

Isn’t Jools Holland already contemporary acts live? Ok unfortunately sometimes with added boogie woogie piano. 

OGWT copped a lot of flak for its mix of bands. Much in retrospect is great to have been captured (Steelers Wheel, Allman Brothers etc) but at the time didn’t go down well. 

It’s likely in decades to come many of these Jools show performances are looked back on as cherished live versions.  

 

Edited by Drax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not into The Shadows at all but enjoyed this repeat last week on R4 ‘The Thing About Hank’ available on the Sounds app

Knopfler & Jimmy Page interviewed, amongst others. Great listen. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the Shadows at 60 program last night and thought it was good. It seemed to be well put together, rather than the usual Beeb cobbling together of old, unconnected footage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hank is v media savvy. Has had innumerable farewell tours etc documented by Eagle Rock for DVD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jonse said:

Whispering Bob is still around, bring back Old Grey Whistle test with some contemporary acts.

Not sure WB is the best for contemporary music - country or 70s pastiche perhaps!

But new music doesn't exist on TV as far as I can tell - occasional very mainstream stuff at the end of One Show or Graham Norton perhaps but nothing at all interesting. Even if it's only Top of the Pops it's better than nowt; I remember watching with bated breath when I was a kid just in case something I liked came on - the joy of seeing the Ruts, or Siouxsie, or the UK Subs was indescribable!

And during the 80s there was all sorts; Rock Goes to College, the Tube, those BBC2 shows at tea time with Magenta Devine looking down her nose at those less cool than her. Now there's just YouTube - which has the disadvantage of keeping obscure stuff obscure!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The advantage of limited channels is the shared experience, eg Bowie and Ronson etc.  Water cooler moments before water coolers were invented!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

The advantage of limited channels is the shared experience, eg Bowie and Ronson etc.  Water cooler moments before water coolers were invented!

Was thinking the same on another thread. Pub a drank in as a teenager everyone had to keep the noise down when Minder was on! No catch up, +1 or Youtube then. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the programme was well put together and enjoyed the extra detail provided regarding the early days. Bruce Welch came over very well with good humour thrown in.

Even the wife enjoyed it😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

But new music doesn't exist on TV as far as I can tell. . . . . . . . . .

When I was starting out, it never did. That's why there was such a fantastic club scene in the 60's and 70's.

If you want "new music" the internet's full of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the Shadows program. I thought it was an interesting look a the music business at a time when British music was was just starting to find its feet. We went on to dominate the world from these small beginnings. It was an interesting time. Old music isn't bad music.

Apache was my first 45, I won it in a competition at school. I played the grooves off that thing.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Not sure WB is the best for contemporary music - country or 70s pastiche perhaps!

But new music doesn't exist on TV as far as I can tell - occasional very mainstream stuff at the end of One Show or Graham Norton perhaps but nothing at all interesting. Even if it's only Top of the Pops it's better than nowt; I remember watching with bated breath when I was a kid just in case something I liked came on - the joy of seeing the Ruts, or Siouxsie, or the UK Subs was indescribable!

And during the 80s there was all sorts; Rock Goes to College, the Tube, those BBC2 shows at tea time with Magenta Devine looking down her nose at those less cool than her. Now there's just YouTube - which has the disadvantage of keeping obscure stuff obscure!

Yes, in hindsight (one too many pops last night) Bob wouldn't be the best choice for contemporary, underground bands / audiences. 

I suppose the closest thing we have at the moment would be BBC introducing, but it'd be cool to have something televised and presented to the masses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No mention of why Jet Harris left...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

No mention of why Jet Harris left...

Or Brian locking, or the death of John Rostill.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Count Bassy said:

Despite the omissions (which didn't pick up on) I found it informative and interesting.

Me too, and that’s coming from someone who’s not a big fan of ‘The Shads’. Probably due to backing too many guitar vocalists who always insisted on doing an instrumental to show their versatility and it usually ended up being ‘Apache’ ( or possibly ‘Albatross’).

I thought Hank, Bruce and particularly Brian Bennett came across as being decent blokes, and was amazed how popular they were in the early sixties. Pete Townshend’s comments were amusing! Always thought ‘Wonderful Land’ was their best tune rather than Apache though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the 80's when I was very much into my heavy metal, I saw The Shads. Hank could hold his own against any shredder, he was amazing. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

No mention of why Jet Harris left...

He recorded Diamonds with Tony Mehan. Bruce said in the documentary how Tony was getting unreliable and didn’t even turn up to one gig. There was probably a bit of dissatisfaction among those two and somebody convinced them they could go it alone. Not, as it turned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bassace said:

He recorded Diamonds with Tony Mehan. Bruce said in the documentary how Tony was getting unreliable and didn’t even turn up to one gig. There was probably a bit of dissatisfaction among those two and somebody convinced them they could go it alone. Not, as it turned out.

So the 'rumours' about a certain pop singer, and the wife of Jet Harris are unfounded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There was a hell of a lot unsaid, but it was only an hour. Telling that Hank and the other two were never in the same country, let alone room. Mind you they were not in each other’s monitors either😂

Edited by Mickeyboro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

So the 'rumours' about a certain pop singer, and the wife of Jet Harris are unfounded?

Ooer!  I’ve just googled that and it seems stronger than ‘rumours’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...