Why become a member? ×

BBC4, 9.30, The Shadows at 60

spectoremg

Watched guitar heros at the BBC. Can't recall how many times I've seen those clips now. Whispering Bob is still around, bring back Old Grey Whistle test with some contemporary acts. Be better than whatever shíte Jools Holland is peddling! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jonse said:

Whispering Bob is still around, bring back Old Grey Whistle test with some contemporary acts. Be better than whatever shíte Jools Holland is peddling! 

Isn’t Jools Holland already contemporary acts live? Ok unfortunately sometimes with added boogie woogie piano. 

OGWT copped a lot of flak for its mix of bands. Much in retrospect is great to have been captured (Steelers Wheel, Allman Brothers etc) but at the time didn’t go down well. 

It’s likely in decades to come many of these Jools show performances are looked back on as cherished live versions.  

Edited by Drax

I watched the Shadows at 60 program last night and thought it was good. It seemed to be well put together, rather than the usual Beeb cobbling together of old, unconnected footage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonse said:

Whispering Bob is still around, bring back Old Grey Whistle test with some contemporary acts.

Not sure WB is the best for contemporary music - country or 70s pastiche perhaps!

But new music doesn't exist on TV as far as I can tell - occasional very mainstream stuff at the end of One Show or Graham Norton perhaps but nothing at all interesting. Even if it's only Top of the Pops it's better than nowt; I remember watching with bated breath when I was a kid just in case something I liked came on - the joy of seeing the Ruts, or Siouxsie, or the UK Subs was indescribable!

And during the 80s there was all sorts; Rock Goes to College, the Tube, those BBC2 shows at tea time with Magenta Devine looking down her nose at those less cool than her. Now there's just YouTube - which has the disadvantage of keeping obscure stuff obscure!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

The advantage of limited channels is the shared experience, eg Bowie and Ronson etc.  Water cooler moments before water coolers were invented!

Was thinking the same on another thread. Pub a drank in as a teenager everyone had to keep the noise down when Minder was on! No catch up, +1 or Youtube then. 

• Haha 1

I thought the programme was well put together and enjoyed the extra detail provided regarding the early days. Bruce Welch came over very well with good humour thrown in.

Even the wife enjoyed it😮

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

But new music doesn't exist on TV as far as I can tell. . . . . . . . . .

When I was starting out, it never did. That's why there was such a fantastic club scene in the 60's and 70's.

If you want "new music" the internet's full of it.

• Like 1

I watched the Shadows program. I thought it was an interesting look a the music business at a time when British music was was just starting to find its feet. We went on to dominate the world from these small beginnings. It was an interesting time. Old music isn't bad music.

Apache was my first 45, I won it in a competition at school. I played the grooves off that thing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Not sure WB is the best for contemporary music - country or 70s pastiche perhaps!

But new music doesn't exist on TV as far as I can tell - occasional very mainstream stuff at the end of One Show or Graham Norton perhaps but nothing at all interesting. Even if it's only Top of the Pops it's better than nowt; I remember watching with bated breath when I was a kid just in case something I liked came on - the joy of seeing the Ruts, or Siouxsie, or the UK Subs was indescribable!

And during the 80s there was all sorts; Rock Goes to College, the Tube, those BBC2 shows at tea time with Magenta Devine looking down her nose at those less cool than her. Now there's just YouTube - which has the disadvantage of keeping obscure stuff obscure!

Yes, in hindsight (one too many pops last night) Bob wouldn't be the best choice for contemporary, underground bands / audiences. 

I suppose the closest thing we have at the moment would be BBC introducing, but it'd be cool to have something televised and presented to the masses. 

1 hour ago, Count Bassy said:

Despite the omissions (which didn't pick up on) I found it informative and interesting.

Me too, and that’s coming from someone who’s not a big fan of ‘The Shads’. Probably due to backing too many guitar vocalists who always insisted on doing an instrumental to show their versatility and it usually ended up being ‘Apache’ ( or possibly ‘Albatross’).

I thought Hank, Bruce and particularly Brian Bennett came across as being decent blokes, and was amazed how popular they were in the early sixties. Pete Townshend’s comments were amusing! Always thought ‘Wonderful Land’ was their best tune rather than Apache though.

11 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

No mention of why Jet Harris left...

He recorded Diamonds with Tony Mehan. Bruce said in the documentary how Tony was getting unreliable and didn’t even turn up to one gig. There was probably a bit of dissatisfaction among those two and somebody convinced them they could go it alone. Not, as it turned out.

21 minutes ago, bassace said:

He recorded Diamonds with Tony Mehan. Bruce said in the documentary how Tony was getting unreliable and didn’t even turn up to one gig. There was probably a bit of dissatisfaction among those two and somebody convinced them they could go it alone. Not, as it turned out.

So the 'rumours' about a certain pop singer, and the wife of Jet Harris are unfounded?

There was a hell of a lot unsaid, but it was only an hour. Telling that Hank and the other two were never in the same country, let alone room. Mind you they were not in each other’s monitors either😂

Edited by Mickeyboro