Why become a member? ×

Lee Pomeroy on Rick Wakeman's new record...

wateroftyne

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Interesting to see the way his bass is strung. Suppose it makes sense if starting out on a borrowed right handed (assuming that’s what he did of course).

I think that’s part of the story, yes. Knowing him quite well back in the Rockbottom days in Croydon that’s exactly what he used to do with the in-stock basses. Talented git!! 😫

Threw up in the back of my brand new car on the way back from The Lazy Toad in Beckenham, the sod...😡

Lovely bloke really and he’s done so brilliantly in his career. Truly well deserved. Taught me a lot and got me one of my first proper gigs with the Rockbottom ‘house band’.

• Like 3

Lee was also out with Yes ARW (Anderson / Rabin / Wakeman) a couple of years ago, tackling some Chris Squire basslines. It's not a trivial job keeping us CS fans happy, but I heard only good things and wish I'd gotten to see them live. Maybe I will - It Can Happen ...

Edited by bnt
  • Haha 1

Darnit, that Ric makes a great noise!

Yeah, cool bloke and a great player. What a gig; just make stuff up ‘til Mr Wakeman says: ‘yeah that’s alright actually Lee.’ (For a riff over a 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 pattern)

3 hours ago, bnt said:

Lee was also out with Yes ARW (Anderson / Rabin / Wakeman) a couple of years ago, tackling some Chris Squire basslines. It's not a trivial job keeping us CS fans happy, but I heard only good things and wish I'd gotten to see them live. Maybe I will - It Can Happen ...

Something I keep coming back to on YT...

• Like 3

Cracking player. I once bumped into Terry Gregory (ex of Steve Hackett's band) and told him that he and Lee Pom were the best bassists to have been in that band, but their playing style (ie lefties upside down) makes it impossible to crib their licks. Doubly frustrating for the Genesis tribute player! (as I was when I saw them live). Also we were at a gig watching another upside down lefty, Jimmy Haslip. Are there more than these three who play like this?

14 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Are there more than these three who play like this?

There is OMD's Andy McCluskey, who plays RH on a RH bass, but with the strings inverted:

image.png.d086a1b993c1720026f95543d19dbc1f.png

4 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

He's awesome, like. And ARW are far better than the decrepit crapshow touring as Yes.

Rather ironically the night he blew his groceries in my car we’d been to see Be Sharp in a really small venue. The classic lineup - Jerry Stevenson, Bob Jenkins and Dave Bronze on bass.

I remember Lee being completely in awe of the immense talent right in front of him, as if his own natural talent was nothing in comparison. A very modest and unpretentious guy.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My signed copy of The Red Planet arrived today.  I'm given to understand that Rick Wakeman personally put it in the post to me.

First impressions are...as a concept it's fantastic.  Close your eyes and relax and you can imagine the subject matter, much like the earlier Mike Ildfield albums.  Some decent tunes, very tight musicianship. Im looking forward to getting to know it a bit better.

• Like 3

On 08/05/2020 at 20:58, Captain Bassman said:

Rather ironically the night he blew his groceries in my car we’d been to see Be Sharp in a really small venue. The classic lineup - Jerry Stevenson, Bob Jenkins and Dave Bronze on bass.

I remember Lee being completely in awe of the immense talent right in front of him, as if his own natural talent was nothing in comparison. A very modest and unpretentious guy.

Be Sharp are a great band - that's where I first saw them too, about 1990 or 1991 I think 🙂 

Met Lee during his time at Rockbottom, the drummer in the band I was in at the time said he was (is) a real talent.

1 hour ago, louisthebass said:

Be Sharp are a great band - that's where I first saw them too, about 1990 or 1991 I think 🙂 

Met Lee during his time at Rockbottom, the drummer in the band I was in at the time said he was (is) a real talent.

I used to go and see Be Sharp when the late Andy Brown played bass for them. Initially, I was blown away by Jerry Stevenson’s guitar playing (quite rightly too, he’s very, very good and I was a guitar player at the time), but eventually, it was Andy’s playing that became my focus (probably adding to the desire to move over to bass myself), he was great and had a great voice too. Be Sharp’s version of Green Manalishi remains my favourite by anyone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I used to go and see Be Sharp when the late Andy Brown played bass for them. Initially, I was blown away by Jerry Stevenson’s guitar playing (quite rightly too, he’s very, very good and I was a guitar player at the time), but eventually, it was Andy’s playing that became my focus (probably adding to the desire to move over to bass myself), he was great and had a great voice too. Be Sharp’s version of Green Manalishi remains my favourite by anyone.

Lost count of the number of times I've seen Be Sharp, but never saw Andy Brown play for them. I've got most of the CD's he's on and he was indeed a great bassist and singer. The bass chair in the band's seen a few changes over the years and apart from Dave Bronze I 've also seen Gary Moxon, Darren Tingey, Kevin Miller (ex Style Council / Tracey Young), and the current Richard J Turner-Finch play for them. Great trio 🙂

• Like 1