Why become a member? ×

NEW - KiOgon Tone Switch - NEW
£15
Only on basschat!

KiOgon Tone Switch.

An alternative for the tone pot, bass or guitar, a 4 way rotary switch that gives 2 tone positions + Bypass and Kill/Off.
Solderless fitting, screw terminals for your wires, simple to install, wiring instructions and screwdriver supplied.
Your existing volume control/s can remain in use or be bypassed. .
Clockwise operation gives;
A = Off or Kill
B = On - Bypass, no tone pot/resistor or capacitor, straight through output
C = .033uF PolyDrop capacitor, changed from .047 for better differential
D = 0.1uF PolyDrop capacitor, Old School deep velvet tone

Pointer knob or 20/24mm round black included. Chrome or Black knurled brass extra £5.
I can build into any of my looms instead of a tone pot and incorporated with blend or series/parallel switching looms, POA.
Standard fitting to control plate, scratch plate or through top, (<6mm), 9.5mm hole required.
Space needed, minimum 29mm / 1 1/8" width and 25.4mm / 1" depth, (just bigger than standard CTS pot).

Tone Switch alone £15 delivered, UK, overseas at cost.

P-Bass kit with CTS Volume pot and Tone Switch, £35 delivered UK, EU approx. £10 Royal Mail.

PayPal friends/family please to [email protected] and delivery details ta.

Tone switch knobs.jpg

Tone switch terminals.jpg

P-Bass with Tone Switch b.jpg

P-Bass with Tone Switch a.jpg

Edited by KiOgon
Added pics of P-bass + Tone switch Kit etc.
  • Like 14

38 minutes ago, itu said:

Is it possible to get the positions in this order: Off / 0.1 / 0.047 / On ?

34 minutes ago, therealting said:

Agreed.

I'll have a fiddle in the morning before I say yes 🙂

• Thanks 2

Some questions, @KiOgon:

1. Is this designed to replace a traditional volume control, with the existing tone knob interacting with the values of the capacitors?

2. When you say “off” or “kill”, presumably you mean it literally mutes the bass in that position?

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

Some questions, @KiOgon:

1. Is this designed to replace a traditional volume control, with the existing tone knob interacting with the values of the capacitors?

2. When you say “off” or “kill”, presumably you mean it literally mutes the bass in that position?

1. No, you can keep the volume control - OR - bypass it if you don't want it. This is intended to replace the traditional tone pot.

2. Yes, kills the output.

4 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Some questions, @KiOgon:

2. When you say “off” or “kill”, presumably you mean it literally mutes the bass in that position?

First line of original post:

7 hours ago, KiOgon said:
KiOgon Tone Switch.
An alternative for the tone pot, bass or guitar, a 4 way rotary switch that gives 2 tone positions + Bypass and Kill/Off.

1 minute ago, therealting said:

First line of original post:

Still confused my poor Luddite brain xD

@KiOgon - is the .047uF setting intended to sound like a “traditional” tone control at the halfway mark? Sorry, I know next to nothing about this stuff but am very interested!

8 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Still confused my poor Luddite brain xD

@KiOgon - is the .047uF setting intended to sound like a “traditional” tone control at the halfway mark? Sorry, I know next to nothing about this stuff but am very interested!

No, the most common cap. used with traditional tone pot circuits is .047uF. The switch at the .047uF position is equivalent to that pot/cap backed right off. The 0.1uF is used for 'a bit more bass' often likened to a 'old school sound' more P bass than anything.

HTH

• Thanks 2

Great to see that John is bringing some of his "custom" ideas to his standard off-the-shelf range. John created for a Jazz Bitsa build  a V T Switch ( neck, both series,  both parallel, bridge) and it works really really well. This new product is a great simple upgrade. Well done John😎

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, itu said:

Is it possible to get the positions in this order: Off / 0.1 / 0.047 / On ?

@itu

16 hours ago, CameronJ said:

+2 :ph34r:

@CameronJ

18 hours ago, KiOgon said:

I'll have a fiddle in the morning before I say yes 🙂

YES 😍 Perhaps I'll do option A or B

Edited by KiOgon
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

YES 😍

Excellent, then I will take one (get back to you via a PM later) I will not use pots at all. Just this.

How about soldering contacts - as we started to play with details?

1 hour ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Hi John, is the 'kill' option effectively open circuit?  Would it isolate the battery if it was an active bass?  It would save having to keep removing lead between sets if so.

@Oopsdabassist

The Kill/Off position on my switch isolates the output from the pickup/s only.

Your active bass will 99.9% certainly have the battery switched on/off by contacts in the jack socket which are made with a plug in.

You would need a dedicated switch fitted, with wiring mods to avoid having to unplug.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These are most excellent little units.   I popped one into my fretless after telling John what sort of tone I was after, and he recommended different capacitors from the standard set.

He absolutely nailed it.  I love the "straight through" tone, but the capacitors take off just the right amount of top to just give me lovely fretless warmth, but still with clarity and never getting into mud.

Great stuff, and higly recommended.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...