Why become a member? ×

Warwick Lee Sklar Signature

jimmyb625

I've experience with the Starbass II Masterbuilt which I love with flats. The improvements Lee has made to the Sklar over the Starbass are pretty much exactly the things I would change about my Starbass, so I don't think you can lose with one of them. Those pickups have a really wide range of tones available, despite their simplicity, and no bass I have is quite as reactive to right hand placement as my SB. I don't quite understand how that's really possible, but that's how it feels. T

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TJ Spicer said:

I've experience with the Starbass II Masterbuilt which I love with flats. The improvements Lee has made to the Sklar over the Starbass are pretty much exactly the things I would change about my Starbass, so I don't think you can lose with one of them. Those pickups have a really wide range of tones available, despite their simplicity, and no bass I have is quite as reactive to right hand placement as my SB. I don't quite understand how that's really possible, but that's how it feels. T

That's really good to know. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2020 at 09:34, therealting said:

The pound was already slumping due to the B word.

I *think* what may have happened is that the original price Thomann used (discussed on another thread where it was found that they'd now priced everything in £) was based on the exchange rate in Feb. This was approx €0.84 to £1. In mid-March, this went to €0.94 to £1and at the start of this week went to €0.88 to £1, so if they're calculating the prices manually, this would explain the difference.

It's one of those times where the exchange rate is working against importing to the UK and I agree with your reasoning why.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

Piqued by the daily videos I've investigated the Star Bass too. I had a Korean 5 string which was lovely but upon examination there is little difference between The Le Sklaar Starbass and the regular one, save the volutes and the producer switch. Not sure if all the sub £1000 are Chinese but they do some German Team Built ones  at £1500 and Masterbuilts at £2500