MSL Pro

Markbass Strings launch offer for Basschat members

11 hours ago, MoJoKe said:

Haha! It's actually not that far from you as we speak! I have that one at home, as I was supposed to be bringing it to the SW Bass Bash for you all to drool over! Happy to arrange hands-on when life starts being less locked down! 

Ooh count me in, I'd love to see one in the flesh 

38 minutes ago, stewblack said:

You're on!  in the meantime, here it is in my studio with one of my JV's for company...

I have to say, I never used to be a "flats" kind of player, always thought they felt dull and sticky under the fingers, but I'm rather loving these!  Having played with Elixirs on all my basses for years now, they're obviously different, but the MB Vintage are neither dull or sticky.

Unknown-1.thumb.jpeg.675ed4e1701adc06fb57c3cd94c9e2ef.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I know it's very easy to keep saying of all fender clone basses "why? Just buy a fender," but I actually think the Italians have made a really fine, playable professional level bass here.  We're generally a pedestrian lot here in bass world, and this "look" kinda works for most of us (witness my pair of JV's and playing Lakland 55-02/DJ basses for the last 15 years!).

However, this bass feels great, the Italian build quality is bloody good, while its a J/J setup the neck pickup on its own still gives a bloody good impression of a thumpy P bass, and it has the secret weapon Markbass Instrument Preamp inside.  Its absolutely not the same preamp which was put in Cort basses, it's a new design conceived as a collaboration with Richard Bona for his signature Kilimanjaro bass. It has three band active EQ, a passive tone control (which influences both in passive and active mode), and has virtually no gain difference between active and passive mode, which is something I've not experienced with any Lakland, East or Tonepump preamp equipped bass i've ever owned.  You can dial from thumpy old P to sharp, mid-focussed active bridge tone between songs without touching your amp or the volume pots. Apparently its also available as a retrofit.... 

• Like 1

Due to my general incompetence with mouse and keyboard I managed to order the wrong strings :facepalm:  The team at MSL have been absolutely brilliant in sorting it out for me so thanks very much.

13 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

How do they feel softer and what is the difference in tension please?

There is always a big element of personal perception when it comes to the 'feel" of a set of strings, so this is quite a difficult question to answer.

These are hand-made strings, not mass produced on an automated production line, so this has to be considered. The materials in both are exactly the same, but a different hand-winding technique is used on the Advanced and Ultimate strings, resulting in a softer, bendier feel. 

As you can imagine we have re-strung quite a few basses with these over the last few months, and they do feel more "premium" somehow.

Try some out yourself maybe and let us know what you think...?

• Like 1

This short video was taken by Marco and posted on his Facebook page two weeks ago when the factory was in lockdown.

https://www.facebook.com/marco.devirgiliis/videos/10158370823249359/

"Ce la faremo.."  translates as "We'll get through this..."

As you can see from the technology, these are very much artisan made strings!  We'll try and get hold of some video of some guys hard at work soon!

Hi all,

Thank you to all of you who have already taken up the offer and bought some strings to try!  We really hope they work for you.

Just to let you know, all available stock for this launch offer is now on the store. There is hopefully plenty there for everyone still but, as said in the OP, when it's gone, it's gone!

We don't sleep at MSL even in Lockdown 😉, so we'll keep an eye out for messages and orders over the weekend, hope you have a good one, whatever you're planning/getting up to!

Best,

The MSL team

Thanks for giving us the discount! I think folks are much more likely to take a punt on something new if there's a little incentive. I'm really looking forward to stringing the P bass with my nickel set!

Now ordered a sixer set for my Hohner.  May be a tad too yellow with yellow silks on a yellow wood bass....

But being a lover of all things MB I'm looking forward to getting these.  And resisting the temptation to scrap the perfectly good and recently fitted La Bella nickels that are on there at the moment.

Edited by lownote12

On 30/04/2020 at 15:28, MSL Pro said:

All the strings have colour coded ball ends (though we've still not seen a chart yet, to say what colours mean what!), and have no silk windings.

On 30/04/2020 at 19:47, MSL Pro said:

Here's a JP Gold bass with flats on...  I'd say the colour of the silk wraps are.... Markbass Yellow!  Quelle surprise!

They are wrapped at both ends.

so its only the flats that have silks?

Set of the Vintage 4s ordered!

Only ever used Roto flats up to now, so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Very impressed with the speed of delivery. Ordered 2 sets yesterday, one turned up today in a large box. No indication of when the others are turning up though?

11 hours ago, GisserD said:

so its only the flats that have silks?

That's right GisserD :D 

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Very impressed with the speed of delivery. Ordered 2 sets yesterday, one turned up today in a large box. No indication of when the others are turning up though?

Whats your order number? let me know and I'll look into this for you.

9 hours ago, Simon. said:

Only ever used Roto flats up to now, so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Cheers Simon! Do let us know what you think!

9 hours ago, Simon. said:

Having played the lovely gold bass above at the Birmingham guitar show in March. I can highly recommend these flats.

They are very similar in feel to La Bella's - not too course or "sticky" feeling like some other flats I've tried.

Really easy to play fresh from the pack with a nice warm tone!

Edited by Zander
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered a set of Vintage flat wounds med gauge.Looking forward to trying em out.

Hi,

Did I miss this in either the thread or on the web site. . . . . . do your 5 string sets fit 35" scale?

Cheers

Should I have received a confirmation email after ordering? All I got was a payment authorisation from PayPal... Wouldn't expect the strings yet as I only ordered at 2030 on the 30th.

Edit: Oops - confirmation was hiding in my spam folder 😊

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 1

I've just ordered as set of flats and a set of medium gauge ultimates.  I've never tried nickel strings before.

On 02/05/2020 at 13:17, Simon. said:

Let me know how you get on, I love the roto’s. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chris_b said:

Hi,

Did I miss this in either the thread or on the web site. . . . . . do your 5 string sets fit 35" scale?

Cheers

I have an open pack of Advanced 5 string 45-130's here, which I was going to fit to my Lakland 55-02 (35"), but I realised just before stripping them off, the Elixirs on there are still far too new bin them yet!  I've just matched them up, and if strung through bridge they'll fit fine, but not if you want to string through body...

• Like 1