Why become a member? ×

Markbass Strings launch offer for Basschat members

MSL Pro

Just put a set of Ultimates on my Alpher.  Great first impression. The strings feel great, very bright, and a really pleasing tension. I would say they feel just a bit looser than NYXL’s.

I will report back on life span after a few weeks. If they last well I might have found my new strings of choice!

Thanks again for the great discount.

A24D08D0-E466-4736-85A7-A670F49BF3BC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Just put a set of Ultimates on my Alpher.  Great first impression. The strings feel great, very bright, and a really pleasing tension. I would say they feel just a bit looser than NYXL’s.

I will report back on life span after a few weeks. If they last well I might have found my new strings of choice!

Glad you're enjoying them!

Just fitted an Advanced, 5 string set 40-120  stainless on my GB Spitfire. They sound very “raspy” “growly” compared to the Elixir set that came off. The B and E string sound “dead” compared to the others. I’m not a slap player but they don’t seem to have the scoop sound I can get from the Elixir and seem too choke on the pluck. Perhaps a higher action would be better suited.

I think the tension is a bit lower as well. Full price for this Advanced set puts them almost in the Elixir price range. Would buy them again? I don’t think I would to be honest.
I’ve also got a set of  Energy stainless for a 4 string.I’ll experiment with those on the Spitfire and see what they sound like.

Cant win them all.

On 08/05/2020 at 22:21, four/five said:

...They sound very “raspy” “growly” compared to the Elixir set that came off...

I am also an Elixir player.  I don't think there is a comparison either, but I'll try some of their coated strings if/when they make some. As you said, can't win 'em all!

I have always found that different brands of strings sound different, and handmade strings are more likely to have their own character.  This works really well for some people, and less so for others.

Regarding price, strings are a consumable and a highly competitive market.  I suspect as we start seeing these advertised online and in music shops, the price will get discounted as market forces take command and that'll almost certainly make them sit better against the others...

Having dipped into the discounted supply, I deliberately kept out of the dialogue on this until I had got used to the first set of strings fitted on my sunburst jazz.  I have to say after a 'what is this' sort of start, I have really got into these strings.  I am playing the advanced series 40-100 gauge and loving the tone. I play finger style through a vintage setup and it is the elephant's pajamas.  Thanks for the intro!

image.thumb.png.e3a208b54f06386afb713f2c680cdfb0.png

• Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

So how’s everyone getting on? I’ve put the nickels through quite a bit of bedroom playing over lockdown and really enjoy the feel and vintage tone. 

There is a lot of warmth but also clarity and I would say they are more characterful than what I was using before. 

they’re still going for now but I reckon I’ll be buying again when they eventually die off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

What were you using before?

Trying to remember exactly what I have used on that bass. I know I’ve used Overwater’s own strings on it,  a set of D’addarios, Thomastik flats and I think there might have been a set of Dunlop’s. I haven’t used DR sunbeams on that bass but remember liking them on a different fretless. 

On 06/05/2020 at 18:31, Crawford13 said:

Verdict?

28 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Verdict?

A couple of weeks in and they still sound and feel great. They have great tuning stability, and have settled in well. One question I was asked about was fret noise, and I would say there is a little more fret noise than NYXL's but not an unacceptable amount. 

Where I feel these strings really shine is when playing with a pick. They are bright and clear. 

Unfortunately they still haven't had the real test of being gigged, but I will definitely be buying them again, even at full retail price

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really pleased you are enjoying the strings!  They are becoming increasingly available through your favourite Markbass dealers and other string retailers, but if you can't find them online anywhere, then please message us and we'll make sure they are available for you!  There was a slight Italian lockdown manufacturing pause, but they are back to full strength now!

In other great news, there are coated strings on the way, we should see those by August, and it looks like they will compare very well against the competition price wise!  Watch this space!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GisserD said:

As an almost exclusive coated round player thats great to hear! Are they wound then coated(like d'dario)? Or strands coated then wound(like elixir)?

I think Elixir have patented that process. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GisserD said:

As an almost exclusive coated round player thats great to hear!

Not coated but getting pretty round myself it has to be said!

But seriously, what does coating give you?

Edited by Woodinblack

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

My sweat is acid. 

I can easily kill a set of new uncoated strings in one or two sweaty gigs/rehersals if i don't clean them thoroughly and wash my hands regularly.

I can abuse coated strings and they last for months. Current set is going on 5 months and still got the zing.

On 19/06/2020 at 13:03, Woodinblack said:

You can see at the SW Bash if you're going..!  I've been using Elixir for the last 8 years or so, and both my JVs are currently strung with Elixir steels.

That said, if there are coated MB strings available before then, I may well have changed already!

• Like 1

On 19/06/2020 at 13:10, GisserD said:

...they last for months. Current set is going on 5 months and still got the zing.

This.  Elixir will last for 6-8 months as long as you a. don't play with a pick, and b. are really careful pulling them though the bridge...

• ped locked this topic