Why become a member? ×

Most over-rated/disappointing bands or under-rated bands/artists.

lemonstar

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

We always get back to taste. This thread is just about who you like or don't like. I love Rush. They are my all time favourite band. Hardly over rated when they had to struggle for 4 albums before gaining any success, then hard work and graft for over 40 years gave them the success that they deserved. They only recently got inducted into the Rock n Roll hall of fame!

Totally agree with you on Rush @ubit. Rush are phenomenal. I can't stand them, but there is no denying how good they are.

I do however stand by my original suggestion, and do think there are plenty of other overrated acts mentioned on here. 

2 hours ago, timmo said:

I know what you mean. I liked some Nirvana. They are now in The Ramones T shirt category. They are fashion items rather than the they like the band.

I don't think you can criticise the band for being commodified in that way after the fact.

Their impact was huge and at the time I felt they had saved music from dissolving into a mush of mediocrity.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ubit said:

We always get back to taste. This thread is just about who you like or don't like. I love Rush. They are my all time favourite band. Hardly over rated when they had to struggle for 4 albums before gaining any success, then hard work and graft for over 40 years gave them the success that they deserved. They only recently got inducted into the Rock n Roll hall of fame!

Yeah. I meant lucky in todays music where you need to be good looking, and have a record label behind you. You never see gear laden transits in motorway services anymore

Rush deserve the accolades, as they worked their way up in the true sense of making it big.

Vulfpeck and Joe Dart. 

Vulfpeck are fun. Joe a fantastic bassist that has penned one of the iconic lines of recent years - but there’s an extraordinary amount of hype around him that eclipses his output. 

In fairness - it’s hype he hasn’t asked for nor stoked - but there’s something very premature about the pedestal he’s been put on by certain folk and media. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't think you can criticise the band for being commodified in that way after the fact.

Their impact was huge and at the time I felt they had saved music from dissolving into a mush of mediocrity.

I don`t blame them, and not taking anything away from them, as I thought they were good. Just saying that they are becoming a T shirt rather than a band. They are fashion today

17 minutes ago, Drax said:

Vulfpeck and Joe Dart. 

Vulfpeck are fun. Joe a fantastic bassist that has penned one of the iconic lines of recent years - but there’s an extraordinary amount of hype around him that eclipses his output. 

In fairness - it’s hype he hasn’t asked for nor stoked - but there’s something very premature about the pedestal he’s been put on by certain folk and media. 

It's entertaining and well played, but like a lot of jazz-funk it falls down in the 'solid tunage' department. Vulfpeck would never pass the Old Grey Whistle Test.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Vulfpeck and Joe Dart. 

Really enjoy Vulfpeck but I know what you mean. Some of their getting into it moves on the live vids look a bit false/mannered. The Gurning guy playing the hi-hat's highly amusing tho. They came over a bit snobby in the vid plugging the plug ugly MM signature IKEA Bass too.. Finally, Mr Dart's neck vertebrae are going to be utterly wrecked by his late 50's surely.