Why become a member? ×

Most over-rated/disappointing bands or under-rated bands/artists.

lemonstar

2 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Saw them at (I think) the Forum with a pal and they were v v good. Latter-day effect is I G.A.S for a Schecter dUg Pinnick Bass and have to console myself with reports that they have awful neck dive.

Been a fan for years, but never seen them. I've got tickets for their tour in Holmfirth at the end of September, so here's hoping... 

1 minute ago, peteb said:

Been a fan for years, but never seen them. I've got tickets for their tour in Holmfirth at the end of September, so here's hoping... 

Hope it happens, was unaware of UK visit, will do some research. On a different perspective was supposed to see Chon last night, not sure I've received refund yet;?!

8 hours ago, Belka said:

The two biggest overrated offenders for me would have to be Pearl Jam and to a lesser extent the Foo Fighters. This is not simply because I don't like them; there are a few bands/artists who, while I personally do not enjoy their music (The Spice Girls, The Pogues, Free, Soundgarden, The Mavericks and Nickelback to name an eclectic few), I can at least appreciate why others would enjoy them. It's also not a genre thing, But they're just so boring. The melodies, harmonies and dynamics are not necessarily bad, they're just complete cardboard. Utterly dull.

I could have written this...hear hear

21 hours ago, spectoremg said:

The two biggest overrated offenders for me would have to be Pearl Jam and to a lesser extent the Foo Fighters. This is not simply because I don't like them;

This IS simply because you don't like them because millions of people, including me like both of these bands and enjoy their music immensely!

Edited by ubit
  • Like 1

That's the 'problem' with these sorts of threads, one tends to think of bands that you don't like that are successful as over-rated, whereas they are only successful because to enough people they are making music they want to listen to. 
Referencing the posts above, I love Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters but I can accept that others wouldn't, whereas I cannot abide The Clash, Stranglers, Bad Manners, Whitney Houston ( and wannabees), but I don't  consider these acts as overrated, they have very much deserved their success because they've found an audience for their creative output, it's just not me.

The best thing about these threads is finding new material in other peoples 'underrated' selections, IMO. Happy listening everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sykilz said:

That's the 'problem' with these sorts of threads, one tends to think of bands that you don't like that are successful as over-rated, whereas they are only successful because to enough people they are making music they want to listen to. 
Referencing the posts above, I love Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters but I can accept that others wouldn't, whereas I cannot abide The Clash, Stranglers, Bad Manners, Whitney Houston ( and wannabees), but I don't  consider these acts as overrated, they have very much deserved their success because they've found an audience for their creative output, it's just not me.

The best thing about these threads is finding new material in other peoples 'underrated' selections, IMO. Happy listening everyone.

Same can be said for some of the more interesting Facebook groups. So much stuff that went under the radar. Problem is I then end up spending loads via Discogs. Still like my Stereo System, call me a Luddite. Happy Listening to you too 

• Like 1

Two bands, both reflecting my age (and their’s!)

The Hollies, quite a few years ago, just before Allen Clarke retired.  His voice had obviously gone, which seemed to affect the rest of the band.  I had been looking forward to seeing them live, as they were brilliant in their day.

The Searchers - John McNally's version, with Frank Allen, 3 or 4 years ago..  OK, I heard a couple of months later that they had called it a day, but they should have done it long before they did.  JMcN is not a lead guitarist.  For me, it was quite sad to see them.

5 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Same can be said for some of the more interesting Facebook groups. So much stuff that went under the radar. Problem is I then end up spending loads via Discogs. Still like my Stereo System, call me a Luddite. Happy Listening to you too 

So true, I'm on a couple of those facebook groups and love checking out some of the old stuff I'd forgotten about or missed! As I'm off work at the moment I did subscribe to spotify, even though I still prefer the physical CD, because it has been great just to dip into lots of new stuff, and also I found a way to put it through the stereo so can listen on proper speakers 🤘

A lot of fine hip hop and electronica acts are underrated because all non-fans of these genres hear is the lowest common denominator cack that's played on the radio. For example, while mainstream radio  plays 'EDM' dreck (Calvin Harris, David Guetta etc) it never gives airtime to a lot of innovative stuff that emerged in the 90s like Boards of Canada, The Black Dog, Amon Tobin or DJ Shadow.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sykilz said:

So true, I'm on a couple of those facebook groups and love checking out some of the old stuff I'd forgotten about or missed! As I'm off work at the moment I did subscribe to spotify, even though I still prefer the physical CD, because it has been great just to dip into lots of new stuff, and also I found a way to put it through the stereo so can listen on proper speakers 🤘

I am simply using a 2.5mm to phono adaptor into my amp careful with the gain and the stuff via my phone sounds reasonably decent. Got very into the Sahz Trio (jazz fusion) with the 7str Fretless player from Obscura. Plus loads of stuff with Allan Holdsworth on it.

Also a staggering country/chickenpickin' Guitarist called Johnny Hiland via the Kiesel Guitars Group. A change from their usual mindless shredding content.

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

A lot of fine hip hop and electronica acts are underrated because all non-fans of these genres hear is the lowest common denominator cack that's played on the radio. For example, while mainstream radio  plays 'EDM' dreck (Calvin Harris, David Guetta etc) it never gives airtime to a lot of innovative stuff that emerged in the 90s like Boards of Canada, The Black Dog, Amon Tobin or DJ Shadow.

DJ Shadow - yessss

6 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Some of the Shades of Rhythm tracks, Consolidated, Meat Beat Manifesto Renegade Soundwave stuff was good too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Two bands, both reflecting my age (and their’s!)

The Hollies, quite a few years ago, just before Allen Clarke retired.  His voice had obviously gone, which seemed to affect the rest of the band.  I had been looking forward to seeing them live, as they were brilliant in their day.

The Searchers - John McNally's version, with Frank Allen, 3 or 4 years ago..  OK, I heard a couple of months later that they had called it a day, but they should have done it long before they did.  JMcN is not a lead guitarist.  For me, it was quite sad to see them.

it's a shame Paul McCartney and Elton John don't call it a day as well, but then  I've always thought Elton John was overrated and a lot Macca's output is not me cup of tea either

• Like 1

Just now, PaulWarning said:

it's a shame Paul McCartney and Elton John don't call it a day as well, but then  I've always thought Elton John was overrated and a lot Macca's output is not me cup of tea either

As per EJ thread, Elton's car crash during recent streamed performance was utterly toe-curling. There's a rather cruel subtitled version doing the rounds on Facebook which is bloody funny.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

As per EJ thread, Elton's car crash during recent streamed performance was utterly toe-curling. There's a rather cruel subtitled version doing the rounds on Facebook which is bloody funny.

yes I've seen it 😂

On 30/04/2020 at 11:12, MacDaddy said:

Overrated:

Nirvana.

Great drummer & producers, from the second album, but sadly overrated and mythologised.

I know what you mean. I liked some Nirvana. They are now in The Ramones T shirt category. They are fashion items rather than the they like the band.

I would say underated for me is 13th Floor Elevators. Most know the early psychedelic bands like Pink Floyd, but they were at the forefront.

There is not really any over rated bands. Some have luck, others don't. There are a lot i hate, but if they are selling millions, then they are only over rated by me. I can't stand Kanye West and his ripping off for his records, but he sells millions.

3 minutes ago, timmo said:

then they are only over rated by me. 

perhaps the he title of the thread ought to be "Who do you think are overrated/ underated artists?"

Clearly someone who is successful cannot be overrated by a lot of people, by the same token, nobody is everybody's cup of tea

5 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

perhaps the he title of the thread ought to be "Who do you think are overrated/ underated artists?"

Clearly someone who is successful cannot be overrated by a lot of people, by the same token, nobody is everybody's cup of tea

There are some bands though that success doesn’t seem to line up with what they did. Oasis always get a pasting, but we play a cover of theirs because the punters go mad for it. I quite like them but don’t think they deserve the level of success they had compared to other bands around at the time. I suppose blatantly ripping off one of the most successful bands of all time wasn’t a bad way to make a career.

3 hours ago, sykilz said:

Totally agree , and there’s some interesting stuff highlighted on this thread already. 

Found some old cassettes the other day, lots of John Peel shows - which were always a great source of new and underrated / undiscovered music. 

It wasn’t around in his time - but 6Music has done a good job in filling some of the gaps he left - some great new stuff / and old stuff you wouldn’t otherwise have stumbled across. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Some of the Shades of Rhythm tracks, Consolidated, Meat Beat Manifesto Renegade Soundwave stuff was good too.

God I had forgotten Consolidated, excellent band, saw them a couple of times, they stopped mid gig and did a Q&A!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Drax said:

It wasn’t around in his time - but 6Music has done a good job in filling some of the gaps he left - some great new stuff / and old stuff you wouldn’t otherwise have stumbled across. 

I have discovered a couple of radio programmes lately that have been good sources for interesting music ...

BBC Radio 3 - Late Junction

BBC Radio 6 - Stewart Maconie's Freak Zone

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think Rush are over rated. I know they aren't though. They were very successful. An oxymoron. All the opinions on here will belie the fact that they aren't. Lucky or unlucky are different thing though.

1 hour ago, timmo said:

I think Rush are over rated. I know they aren't though. They were very successful. An oxymoron. All the opinions on here will belie the fact that they aren't. Lucky or unlucky are different thing though.

We always get back to taste. This thread is just about who you like or don't like. I love Rush. They are my all time favourite band. Hardly over rated when they had to struggle for 4 albums before gaining any success, then hard work and graft for over 40 years gave them the success that they deserved. They only recently got inducted into the Rock n Roll hall of fame!

• Like 2