Why become a member? ×

Most over-rated/disappointing bands or under-rated bands/artists.

lemonstar

30 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

It seems to be the thing to knock Nirvana now. I think they only made one good album, but what an album!

I like all their stuff. The 90's was my decade!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adamg67 said:

Transglobal Underground popped up on someone's top 10 all time list on another thread recently. Great band, lots of people I know rated them in the 90s but most people hadn't heard of them.

That was me. I've long been bleating on about what an original combo they were . Shame they're now defunct.

As for genius, someone said Prince. I guess if anyone in the rock n' pop world could be said to be one he's nearer than most. However, while he made some good albums  he also produced a lot of unremarkable stuff. I've even got a few of his higher rated efforts but haven't played them in aeons. IMO they just haven't aged that well

Edited by Barking Spiders

7 hours ago, adamg67 said:

Transglobal Underground popped up on someone's top 10 all time list on another thread recently. Great band, lots of people I know rated them in the 90s but most people hadn't heard of them.

@xilddx (where are you Nigel??) played in the trimmed down version of the band. He got me a signed copy of one of their albums...

As you say, much under-rated.

59 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

As for genius, someone said Prince. I guess if anyone in the rock n' pop world could be said to be one he's nearer than most. However, while he made some good albums  he also produced a lot of unremarkable stuff.

Ah, but when he was good, he was GREAT!! I remember ads for bassists in Music Maker from the late 80s, nearly everybody cited him as a influence.

Edited by TheGreek

19 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I knew the guys in Furniture quite well - took a bunch of photos for them and the drummer lived in a flat in the same building as I did. I played with some of them in earlier incarnations of the band around  Acton in the early 80s. Ofte saw them play around west London.

They had a demon bass player I was in awe of. By the hit era he had been replaced by a girl who was, IMO, more in my class than his...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Underrated - an amazing band who had a fabulous hit in the 80s but also have a great body of work that nobody else except @BigRedX have heard of, Furniture.

For years and years that song has been popping into my head, with me having no idea who it was, many thanks for randomly clearing up one of my annoying little niggles!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Furniture are a wonderful band. Both their full-length albums are exceptional, and IMO Brilliant Mind is one of the weaker tracks from "The Wrong People" which shows what a great album it is.

I have a very clear recollection of Hammy (Furniture's drummer) calling me at work one time for a chat and he asked what I thought of their latest single, which I hadn't heard. As luck would have it, it came on the radio while we were talking, so I was able to praise the appropriate bits. Lovely chap, Hammy, and an incredible drummer.

33 minutes ago, Andy_L said:

As much as I like Stone Roses and Primal Scream I think they're both massively overrated. 

Primal Scream have had highs and lows, but I would rate Screamadelica and Vanishing Point very highly. I didn't know they were all that highly rated though? Thinking back, maybe I missed the hype when Screamdelica came out though, I only really got into them in the mid-late 90s. 

As far as the genius sub-thread goes, I will just leave the name Hendrix here and see what happens.

Personally I think Bowie was a genius as an artist more than as a musician, but I'm sure lots of people won't share that opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

As far as the genius sub-thread goes, I will just leave the name Hendrix here and see what happens.

Personally I think Bowie was a genius as an artist more than as a musician, but I'm sure lots of people won't share that opinion.

I would agree that his pre abstinence era contributions were very influential, however following Scary Monsters he ceased to be a musical inspiration. Sad that his best work might be attributed to his substance misuse.

See my earlier post...

2 hours ago, adamg67 said:

This is a great example, the music of Hendrix does absolutely nothing for me, leaves me completely cold, I don’t ‘get it’ at all, however I recognise his cultural significance and, simply by the effect he has on a huge swathe of musicians and non-musicians I realise he must be something extraordinarily special.

I agree about Bowie, I love some of his material and am indifferent about lots of it. I’d take the first side of Low over 95% of any other music. Bowie’s undoubted genius was understanding twists and turns in culture and music and interpreting them, regurgitating them, in his brilliant style. It’s like he was a musical organiser, he gathered musicians, fashions, styles, culture under his flag and made some great art. Certainly a genius in my book.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1