Why become a member? ×

Willie Nelson

Baxlin

He's doing well, 87. I recently read a biography of his. He didn't really make a lot of headway until late in life. Wrote some great songs a few of which I get to play with my various music colleagues. His broad taste in music sits well with me and gives Country & Western a wider appeal.

image.thumb.png.cc0089aafe9abce2d468b542058877a4.png

Edited by grandad
  • Like 1

Man, I can't believe that he is that old. I am a big admirer despite not being (or having been in the past) in particular a 'country' fan. If anyone has an interest in reading about Willie, I'd recommend his book 'Roll Me up and Smoke Me When I Die' which is a lot of fun. He also features strongly in 'The Improbable Rise of Redneck Rock' which I picked up on my only (so far) trip to Austin, and which I see is now out of print. And I have a t-shirt which my dad bought for me at a Willie gig in North Carolina. A lot of good Highwaymen stuff on YouTube, too.

• Like 1

One of Willie's great comments went along the lines of;

"I don't know why everyone is criticizing Lance Armstrong for taking drugs while riding his bike.  When I was taking drugs, I couldn't even find my bike!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3