Why become a member? ×

U2 on J. Ross Show.....

Marcus

[quote name='Shambo' post='421502' date='Feb 28 2009, 08:07 AM']I think it's great that the BBC are giving this, much needed, free exposure across all it's networks to the new album from one of the biggest acts in the world...

... no wait. No I don't.[/quote]

And St. Bono's contribution to the show....... "Use a Condom" which ofcourse is good advice, just a shame his Father didn't think of that !!

I've noticed in the past that the sound on Rossy's programme is invariably crap. They manage to make even the best of bands sound lousy. I can't say I'm the World's biggest U2 fan, although they have done some classic stuff in the past, but I thought both songs last night were fairly feeble. What the hell is that wall of lights in a flight case behind The Edge??

[quote]What the hell is that wall of lights in a flight case behind The Edge??[/quote]

He did explain on the guitar thing that was on BBC4 a while back. I think its a bank of procesors that try and make him sound good. A bit like the singing machine the boy band used on the simpsons. IMO take his delay pedal off him and he'd be f***ed!

U2 were truly great years ago when they were young and hungry, but now they're just fat old men, metaphorically at least, and they don't need to try any more. And it shows.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='421539' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:06 AM']I've noticed in the past that the sound on Rossy's programme is invariably crap.[/quote]
Yup, especially the noise coming out of Ross' gob... :D

[quote name='markytbass' post='421590' date='Feb 28 2009, 11:27 AM']He did explain on the guitar thing that was on BBC4 a while back. I think its a bank of procesors that try and make him sound good. A bit like the singing machine the boy band used on the simpsons. IMO take his delay pedal off him and he'd be f***ed![/quote]
:) :rolleyes:

My friend was a live sound engineer at Carling Academy Liverpool. They regularly had visiting acts that would be broadcast on BBC. To do this, the BBC engineers took a split of each channel after the stage but before the live desk.

I always thought the sound for live broadcast was crap because crap because the viewers were getting the FoH sound, but not so. I questioned the engineering oracle (And I apologise if anyone's in broadcast engineering). He said, basically, the engineers were sh*t and up against a difficult task.

A live engineer can voice up his PA, but a broadcast engineer is engineering for loads of different TVs and 5.1 systems that all sound different. Also, the majority of broadcast engineers have no one above them who is a decent engineer, the perpetual cycle of the deaf leading the deaf means you just always get sh*t broadcast mixes.

That's not the truth, that's the combined experience of an experienced engineer and a TV addict.

Dan

[quote name='Marcus' post='421491' date='Feb 28 2009, 06:57 AM']I was so bored with their performance I managed to notice that Adam Claypool is now using Aguilar (Looked like a DB750 with a DB410 15)

How's he get such a crap sound with such nice gear ?!?!?[/quote]

Noticed that too, athough there was still an Ashdown head there. He was using Ashdown cabs on their rooftop performance earlier in the day.

Truely one of the most overrated bands in the world....bar none!
IMHO

Didn't see the Ross program, but that Sexy Boots song is AWFUL, an absolute mess!
Vertigo was alright, but I've heard other people play it much better than they do!

Si

[quote name='OldG' post='421631' date='Feb 28 2009, 12:42 PM']I don't get it... why the disdain?[/quote]

Cos they're a bunch of boring old farts churning out the same riff for the last 15 years and they're led by a twat with a Messiah complex...apart from that, no reason. HTH

THANK GOD! after so many years of thinking this band are completely useless I have found a whole bunch of people who think the same. Drastically overrated and just goes to show that expensive gear and good sound engineering does not make good musicians/bands. I will say though i do have a guilty secret, I did like that song they did for batman.