Why become a member? ×

NCD

stewblack

So my downsizing continues apace. Bought an Ashdown 12" RM cab from @phil-m and paired with the little Elf I have recently acquired, it's just lovely. 

The sound is a match made in heaven and I very much look forward to hearing them in a bigger setting. 

IMG_20200429_111537.thumb.jpg.c58fc6f27a44993e7bd4f2e9cb7ccb84.jpg

And with the Zoom B1Four this is a great multi functional lightweight mini rig. 

IMG_20200429_124321.thumb.jpg.99a2a22ceaa8214d35851187c75ceb47.jpg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I love the idea of an Ashdown cab making a Trace head sound good. 

I am yet to try the Ashdown with any other head, but the Elf sounds great whichever cab it's gone through. 

The micro head and the cab sound great together a good match 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I am yet to try the Ashdown with any other head, but the Elf sounds great whichever cab it's gone through. 

I don't doubt it, I only hear good things about the Elf. I just like the Ashdown/Trace pairing on principle!

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

I don't doubt it, I only hear good things about the Elf. I just like the Ashdown/Trace pairing on principle!

Yeah, me too if I'm honest. Always wanted Trace when I was a kid, couldn't afford it. Ashdown the clear successor.

Slotted the Ashdown into my main rig in place of the 2x8 and I noticed an immediate difference in quality. 

That BF 15 always paired nicely with the BF 12 I used to have and it seems equally at home with the Ashdown. 

7 minutes ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

One of my first ever cabs was Ashdown, a 2 x 12, can't remember what though. Sounded killer.

Do you still run the two BF super-compacts, or is that @Merton??

I can't speak for Merton but yes I do. Or did before the plague. That's my big black rig when I'm not in the mood for prisoners. Ashdown CTM100 and two BF Compacts. Black suit for me - not optional.

15 minutes ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

One of my first ever cabs was Ashdown, a 2 x 12, can't remember what though. Sounded killer.

Do you still run the two BF super-compacts, or is that @Merton??

Used to run two SCs, don't any more! Got two One10s and a Four10 nowadays....

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I can't speak for Merton but yes I do. Or did before the plague. That's my big black rig when I'm not in the mood for prisoners. Ashdown CTM100 and two BF Compacts. Black suit for me - not optional.

Stew you use two Compacts, not Super Compacts, Different cabs ;) (pedantry at its highest, sorry...)

3 minutes ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

Ah I thought it was! That sounds like a great rig. I have one BF SC, and am contemplating the second. Out of interest, what bass are you using with that combo, and what style of music are you playing?

I'm in a band that does a real mixed bag of covers - whatever the BL throws at us. Everything from Erykah Badu to Guns N Roses via Etta James and Bruno Mars and much else in between!

I also play in a soul band I've used there too. It's pretty flexible.

2 minutes ago, Merton said:

Stew you use two Compacts, not Super Compacts, Different cabs ;) (pedantry at its highest, sorry...)

Don't apologise. I missed that detail in the post. In my defence i didn't say super compact in my reply. But you are still correct I had missed that.

• Like 1

As I have way too much time on my hands I had a little switcheroo in my tri-amp rig. The Trace is now through the Ashdown on midrange duties, the Bugera  handling the lows. 

Perfect system. The more modern amp delivers a tight, rounded bottom (settle down at the back please) and the Trace a beautiful gutsy midrift.

But the real joy is the effect loop on the TE. Not only do you have a variable send level and an optional hpf on it but at the front of the amp is a blend level. I can dial in as much or as little effect as I want giving me a mix of dirty and clean mids with my lovely round smooth bottom clean and untouched by either.