Why become a member? ×

Spot The Bass Line...

lowregisterhead

I've failed miserably and according to the no. 7 clip, so miserably that I shouldn't really be watching. A lot of them sound familiar but I just can't put my finger on it...

I will offer:

3. Boogie Nights - Heatwave

7. Some Bon Jovi tune??

9. Ruby - Donald Fagen

14. Rhythm Stick - ian Dury and the Blockheads

19. Don't Look Down - Go West

14 minutes ago, EMG456 said:

I've failed miserably and according to the no. 7 clip, so miserably that I shouldn't really be watching. A lot of them sound familiar but I just can't put my finger on it...

I will offer:

3. Boogie Nights - Heatwave

7. Some Bon Jovi tune??

9. Ruby - Donald Fagen

14. Rhythm Stick - ian Dury and the Blockheads

19. Don't Look Down - Go West

Thanks for being the first to pitch in! You're right with all of them, as well as No. 7 - probably their biggest hit.

In addition to the above, I'll add:

1. Gutter Cat - Alice Cooper (Dennis Dunaway)

5. Ramble On - Led Zeppelin (John Paul Jones)

13. Hair - Graham Central Station (Larry Graham)

Nice collection basses you have there.

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

I have not listened to this yet but Victor Wooten held a class for Berkeley students last week and said you can tell how good a bass player you are by how many people recognise the stand alone bass line. This class apparently had several world class players on it and for at least one song, only 25% of the students recognised it!  Apparently it was quite a well known song too. You seem to be doing well @lowregisterhead 😀

I was told this by an attendee. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

I have not listened to this yet but Victor Wooten held a class for Berkeley students last week and said you can tell how good a bass player you are by how many people recognise the stand alone bass line. This class apparently had several world class players on it and for at least one song, only 25% of the students recognised it!  Apparently it was quite a well known song too. You seem to be doing well @lowregisterhead 😀

I was told this by an attendee. 

That's interesting. Although there are a couple of deliberately obscure lines in my list, and if they remain unidentified, it may have more to do with my dodgy playing than how well known they are! 🙂

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

I can see your point @Bobthedogbut if you don't know the song then you'll never know the bassline.

I'm unfamiliar with 80% of the music folks on here talk about, purely because it's not the sort of thing I'm into. 🙂

With a bit of luck the extensive combined knowledge of the forum will get them all - although I do wonder about No. 4...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

I can see your point @Bobthedogbut if you don't know the song then you'll never know the bassline.

I'm unfamiliar with 80% of the music folks on here talk about, purely because it's not the sort of thing I'm into. 🙂

Of course but with enough heads involved and with popular songs, Wooten was expecting a much higher take up. 

11 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

Of course but with enough heads involved and with popular songs, Wooten was expecting a much higher take up. 

Yes sorry, I'd sort of missed the point of it being a bass class that VW was holding. 

Apologies :$

17 hours ago, sammybee said:

10. Act Like You Know - Fat Larry's Band (the bass is from another track, that escapes me right now)

The Whatnauts - Help is on the way, from 1981. De La Soul sampled it for "Ring, Ring, Ring".

Edited by el-gnomo