Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton DI vs TC Spectradrive or others ?

CliveT

Yes it's a multi effects processor and has no XLR out as I can see and it's also not far off twice the cost. So wouldn't be comparing apples to apples I guess one thing they have in common is the fact they are digital rather than analogue like the EHX Batallion for example.

7 minutes ago, Bobo_08 said:

Thanks guys, I googled it after someone mentioned it was a zoom pedal, yea it's a multiefffect processor so not so comparable to a spectradrive in use cases or functionality/features.

Sorry, I didn’t see this a page, my browser was still on the previous where you had asked. 

Although both are very different, they can both be used for home practice, as well as live use. Ive done both with both. Obviously the B3n is way ahead with features and uses, but it can do what the SD can do for less money. 

13 minutes ago, Bobo_08 said:

I had a look at the b3n, admittedly a very quick one,  and it didn't appear to have a DI XLR socket and the prices I saw were around £260.. maybe I was looking at the wrong thing?

No, the B3n doesnt cost anywhere near that. Looking at new prices i guess the two are pretty close. I thought it was a bit cheaper than it is now though.

Agree, the B3n doesn’t have XLR, (the older B3 did) but not everyone needs or uses it, and it can still be hooked up to a PA or whatever. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2020 at 14:05, Lozz196 said:

I’m still umming & ahing about the Spectradrive, they just don’t seem to come up used so looks like I’ll have to shell out for new.

I have one for sale at the moment if you're still looking! It is buried in the effects for sale page. I also love the sound but I want to try other things too. I guess it's just lockdown boredom really. 

No personal experience with it, but the NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp, from their Verdugo Series of pedals, looks great on paper, and sounds great as well judging from the YouTube demos I watched of it, and then it features the possibility for loading 3rd party cab IRs, as well as it got 4 stock IR cab simulations to chose from.

It is digital though, but as far as I understand of quite high quality, and it does mean that it is capable of amp modeling, so far the pedal only comes with 2 stock bass amp models to chose from though, one of them being an Aguilar Tone Hammer bass amp, but NUX promise that more bass amp models will be added in the future.

And it would be at about almost exact same price tag as the TC Electronic SpectraDrive.

I just made a thread about it in fact, with some more factual information, and links to the product's home page and a couple of YouTube demos/reviews of it as well:

As far as I can tell, though I wouldn't have any chance of knowing for sure, it ought to be of considerably higher quality than the amp models and cab simulations of the Zoom B3n/B1(x) Four, perhaps rather more similar in quality to the Line6 Helix models, or who knows possibly even of higher/more realistic quality, though in it's nature of basically just being a bass preamp with amp modeling and IR cab simulation capabilities, and certainly at this current point with it's so far only 2 bass amp models to chose from, of course far less versatile, and far more limited in functionality (though, unlike the Zoom at least, it does have a real DI XLR output, as well as other features that makes it have far superior functionality as a preamp/DI unit, though nothing that the Line6 Helix units doesn't also feature). 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash