Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton DI vs TC Spectradrive or others ?

CliveT

So looking for a multipurpose preamp, DI, headphone practice tool and the Harley Benton Bass Expander and TC Electronic Spectradrive stand out so far.  Is the TC Spectradrive worth spending double the money of the HB ?  Will the HB do the job well?

Is there anything I need to look at as well as these ?   I need headphone out and AUX in.

Well I’ve been umming and aahing over the Spectradrive, I liked the Tubetone and Spectracomp on my old TC Classic 450 so figure I should like them on a pedal, but unless after specifics such as those I reckon the Harley Benton would work fine - I may well do some research on it as it v seems their gear punches well above its weight.

Depends on your particular situation, but I find it really useful having a volume control which doesn't affect the DI level - I think that is not the case for both the Harley Benton and the Spectradrive.  Fwiw I ended up with a Microbass as I need two channels, but it is more expensive.

• Like 1

I tried the Harley Benton when I was looking for a pedal board preamp. The eq and drive were really useful, the compressor wasn’t really that great (but still useful at certain settings) but my passive basses kept overdriving the input stage so I returned it. Admittedly I play really hard, and have fairly hot pickups, but nothing that any other pedal pre (sansamp, MXR etc) hasn’t been able to deal with.

Eventually I went for a second hand Dave Hall VT1 eq and love it; line in, headphone, 1/4 and xlr outs with a separate level control for each.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also facing the same choices... Been looking at the EHX Battalion, the Palmer pocket amp as well. I was attracted to the spectra drive because it has compression built in and of course there is the toneprint technology. So many these devices include overdrive but very few include compression, which I personally would have thought was more useful... Who doesn't need a bit of compression in their playing!?

• Like 1

We're spoilt for choice in this area I think. Depending on how much you want to spend there's always the Darkglass Microtubes B7K Ultra, Gallien Krueger's  GK Plex, Ashdown's ORGIN Al, Ampeg's Scramber DI andI'm sure there's more  that you can throw in to the mix. 

I 've had an EBS Microbass II for years. It does everything you ask for and has a great DI with choice of pre-post eq. You can still get the Mk II for about £160 or the new Mk III for £300+

The new version looks great and is worth it (imo) for years worth of gigging and practising versatility. I'm thinking of upgrading.

Yea I also looked at the dark glass and the GK Plex, but they are twice the price of the others I mentioned and more expensive than my my bass.. my first, Yamaha TBRBX 304.

Pay ya money take your choice, and get what you pay for to some extent... As with most things in life. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update .............

Went for the SpectraDrive.  Cost a little bit more than other options but extra features like compressor and drive on top of EQ and headphone and aux in made my mind up.  And, it can go on my pedalboard so not just a practice tool.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CliveT said:

Update .............

Went for the SpectraDrive.  Cost a little bit more than other options but extra features like compressor and drive on top of EQ and headphone and aux in made my mind up.  And, it can go on my pedalboard so not just a practice tool.  

Nice one. I’m not a huge fan of the Drives in that, but i love the clean boost tone print. 

Ive used various PSU’s with mine, inc daisy chaining it off a 1 Spot wall plug with other pedals. It can be a bit fussy with others but ive not had issues with that, my Cioks DC-5 or EBS wall wart. 

42 minutes ago, CliveT said:

Update .............

Nice one CliveT, what are you initial impressions?

31 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Nice one. I’m not a huge fan of the Drives in that, but i love the clean boost tone print. 

Ive used various PSU’s with mine, inc daisy chaining it off a 1 Spot wall plug with other pedals. It can be a bit fussy with others but ive not had issues with that, my Cioks DC-5 or EBS wall wart. 

Yes, this is the one for me, too.  I bought one to rationalise my pedals - now just a tuner, this and the wireless - and wasn't keen on the drive straight out of the box.  But the clean boost tone print is pretty much exactly what I want.  Like it says - play with the gain and the drive level to get the sound you want.  Have to say was impressed with the novelty of the tone print bluetooth malarkey.  Possibly a bit gimmicky but couldn't be easier and quicker.

Initial impressions are good.  

As a practice tool it's perfect.

I've always thought the tone prints are a gimmick too but they are very easy to use and a lot of fun.  I have no idea what I'll use when I can play though an amp at gig volume and haven't used drive for years as haven't really had a need but look forward to trying it.  For now the Biff Mug is fun 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...