Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass Rig

Graham Milton

20 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

I can think of at least 6 different Markbass heads, including the LM3 in his CMD102p combo which have the capability to beast a Trace Elliott

Woah  - for the record I have (and like) both MB and TE gear and this isn't a gypsy's kissing contest between them. 

I was asked about getting a similar sound not which the better, louder or more desirable. 

Trust me I would never have sold my MB NY 151 cabs if I hadn't got fines to pay. 

The Trace AH500X through those two was a sexually stimulating event. 

13 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Fair enough, I see your point.  Furthermore, it's not just the head and cabs which have changed, but the bass as well. @Graham Milton , how does it sound if you play the Status through the Markbass rig?

Yeah agreed, thats pretty much what i was suggesting in my first reply...  Try a different bass, see how that sounds!

15 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Woah  - for the record I have (and like) both MB and TE gear and this isn't a gypsy's kissing contest between them. 

I was asked about getting a similar sound not which the better, louder or more desirable. 

Trust me I would never have sold my MB NY 151 cabs if I hadn't got fines to pay. 

The Trace AH500X through those two was a sexually stimulating event. 

My reply was to peteb's comment "I am not aware of any lightweight bass rig that is going to sound much like the OP's original Trace Elliot set-up", not to your post, so I'm not sure quite why the need for a "Woah"! 😆

The OP didn't mention Trace Elliott in this post, and I hadn't read the OP's other post, so had no idea he used to have a TE rig, I was responding to a request for help/advice, before ditching what may be bust, but what may be a perfectly good rig!

I started my pro career with TE, stuck with it for years and absolutely loved it.  I absolutely know how good the AH models were.  I didn't intend it to sound like a "how far up the wall can you piddle" contest, rather to contest that there are a good number of lightweight heads (of multiple brands!) which would match the power and tone!

Our band's drummer owns a rehearsal studio which is where we rehearse (or used to, in the days when we were allowed to go out and see people). He has equipped them all with Mark Bass rigs and I was somewhat wary of them to start with, and found it very difficult to get any sort of useable sound out of them intuitively. Then I downloaded the manuals for them, and suddenly they came alive. The only problem I have with them now is that I've forgotten how to get the best out of my Ashdown gear!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MoJoKe said:

I couldn't even begin to consider agreeing with this statement!!!

I can think of at least 6 different Markbass heads, including the LM3 in his CMD102p combo which have the capability to beast a Trace Elliott with the appropriate mix of cabs!  And thats before you even start to work your way through other brands...

Try a Markbass STU into a STD104HF x STD104HR and you'll see what I mean...  it'll take your head off! 

Really???

I’ve got a LM3 (that I sometimes use with a Berg 410) and used to have a CMD102 combo. But I’ve also got a Mesa Boogie and the LM3 head sounds nothing like it. I haven’t used a TE rig for many years, but from I remember it sounds nothing like the MB amps that I’ve owned.

Don’t get me wrong, I like MB amps (certainly prefer them to TE) and think that they always work great in a mix, although like FinnDave it took me a while to get to grips with the EQ. I would have kept the combo if I had room in the house for it – great amp. But they do have a certain sound…  

2 hours ago, peteb said:

Really??? 

Multiamp has a TE model (pretty much the only model I ever used!), sounds amazing (gigged with one for 3 years!), STU, Ninja 1000, Little Marcus, Little Mark Vintage (as used by Mark King now), Little Mark Vintage D2, even the Casa will clean up like an AH head..... That's 7 for starters.......! 😁

I've never understood the "it sounds great but Markbass only ever sounds like Markbass" thing....! 

Edited by MoJoKe

The best light weight rig I have ever had is my current setup.

In fact I would say it is the best rig I have ever had in 41 years of playing bass.

Darkglass Microtubes 900

Markbass NY122. (with the tacky logo removed)

Very powerful,sounds fantastic & light weight too.

20190119_135715.jpg

Edited by artisan

12 hours ago, Jack said:

I bet the cabs are out of phase.

How?  That said, I guess the cable could be cross-wired...

The OP still hasn't commented whether this is a problem just for the 'Ray, or is an issue with other active/passive basses...

• 2 weeks later...

iI have heard dozens of bands live where the Bass player is using Markbass Amplification Head/Cabinets, Combo's and combination.[ Some with Stingray's]

All sounded excellent to me and led to my purchase of Markbass Combo with ext. Cab.

But what sounds excellent to me may be dull to OP; He is clearly not happy and feels he has tried all avenues unsuccessfully. 

maybe amp is defective and VLE circuit is stuck full on😀

I would suggest listening to new GK Legacy and Fusion Combo's 2x10 with 15" extension Cab or GRBASS Products for similar price range.

Then there is also Mesa and Genzler

Edited by Nebadon2000
spelling