Why become a member? ×

Precision GAS, around the £600 mark...update!

Raslee

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

Oh mah gad. If I'm excited and it's not even my bass, you must be tap dancing down there 

That really made me laugh, much needed as I’m working most days as a knackered, now shielding, working from home busy NHS worker. Very much looking forward to the delivery - quite keen to get the Bridge ashtray too 😊

• Thanks 1

Just now, Raslee said:

That really made me laugh, much needed as I’m working most days as a knackered, now shielding, working from home busy NHS worker. Very much looking forward to the delivery - quite keen to get the Bridge ashtray too 😊

Hats off to you mate, seriously, I always voted for the NHS and I'll still support you when the present spotlight has moved on.

• Thanks 1

Well the wild card was most definitely the dogs dingly dangley doodahs! From GAS to reality. A little bit heavier than i would have liked, 8.8lbs on my scale but it's doable.

Quality wise, i'd say on par with Laklands i have owned, frets and finish are superb  - my kids are convinced it is orange in colour - it's really different and i like it lot. No dead spots, low action out of the box although i think it will go lower. assume these get a setup too as it was still in tune and the intonation is spot on.

Sound wise, really good  - a lot of owners speak of the pickups being quite hot so i was expecting 'Quarter pounder' ish territory but it retains a great vintage tone that is most welcome - excellent range with the tone control giving me 4 distinguishable tones of the typical bright P, top end off a little but upper mids present, to motown before full wound then phat dub all the way!

I'm pleased i took the gamble. Thank you for the help B/Cer's :D

IMG_0913.thumb.JPG.e9827a4ef726f6503a8256aa38dd903c.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Love mine - out of all the basses I've used in my noisy covers band: guitar, keys, sax, harmonica - it's been the one which punches through the best.

I currently have it strung with full fat La Bella 760Ms which is amazing through a Noble preamp. But I miss the sound of the stock Elites it came with, so may have to get a Bass Centre Detroit Bass for Motown duties ;)

• Like 1

Massive sigh of relief here! Hated the thought of giving advice and it not go well, although my confidence in the bass itself never wavered. 

You mentioned the weight, never weighed mine but I have gigged with it regularly. Must be something about the way it balances on the strap because I don't feel it when playing and I have long standing shoulder problems. 

You're right about the pick up. Hot without losing character or definition. 

Enjoy! 

Edited by stewblack
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kevsy71 said:

may have to get a Bass Centre Detroit Bass for Motown duties

I have a BC P-bass strung with their flats. It is, unsurprisingly, excellent. I think the price difference between it and the Profile is about right. As good as it is the Profile has that little bit extra 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

Well the wild card was most definitely the dogs dingly dangley doodahs! From GAS to reality. A little bit heavier than i would have liked, 8.8lbs on my scale but it's doable.

Quality wise, i'd say on par with Laklands i have owned, frets and finish are superb  - my kids are convinced it is orange in colour - it's really different and i like it lot. No dead spots, low action out of the box although i think it will go lower. assume these get a setup too as it was still in tune and the intonation is spot on.

Sound wise, really good  - a lot of owners speak of the pickups being quite hot so i was expecting 'Quarter pounder' ish territory but it retains a great vintage tone that is most welcome - excellent range with the tone control giving me 4 distinguishable tones of the typical bright P, top end off a little but upper mids present, to motown before full wound then phat dub all the way!

Very nice Raslee, and what a cool colour 👍

• Thanks 1

On 09/05/2020 at 17:09, Raslee said:

Congrats! I've been enjoying my own induction to the "P" world this weekend with a Sandberg, really surprised at the range of tones available from one pickup and a tone control!!

Mind if I ask what amp setup you've got there? Looks nice and compact - which is something I've been looking for recently!

10 hours ago, Danny_777 said:

Congrats! I've been enjoying my own induction to the "P" world this weekend with a Sandberg, really surprised at the range of tones available from one pickup and a tone control!!

Mind if I ask what amp setup you've got there? Looks nice and compact - which is something I've been looking for recently!

Nice, which Sandberg did you get?  The amp setup is a simple Hartke rig with the HX 112 cab and the notorious  Hartke TX600...the amp gets a lot of bad reviews for being under powered but i haven't really found this to be the case - it's very gig worthy.....i really like it's core tone and Compressor.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2020 at 17:09, Raslee said:

Very nice. They call it Salmon pink but it looks more like Fiesta Red to me, an Orangy sort of red. It may just be down to the photos and lighting. What does it look like in the flesh?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BillyHunt said:

Very nice. They call it Salmon pink but it looks more like Fiesta Red to me, an Orangy sort of red. It may just be down to the photos and lighting. What does it look like in the flesh?

My idiot band mates say its orange, but it's clearly a shade of salmon pink. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoyed mine, but somehow under stage lights the fret markings did not stand out and I got lost!

After it happened twice in succession I moved it on. Never realised how much I looked down...

Edited by Mickeyboro

12 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

I really enjoyed mine, but somehow under stage lights the fret markings did not stand out and I got lost!

After it happened twice in succession I moved it on. Never realised how much I looked down...

It’s a common issue with darker boards. I resolved it by getting large LumInlay dots put in.

• Like 2

On 19/05/2020 at 14:06, therealting said:

It’s a common issue with darker boards. I resolved it by getting large LumInlay dots put in.

Yeah, I've had that problem on another bass where the dot spanned the line between the neck and board and found it difficulr to set. I've not personally had that problem on the Bruce Thomas myself as the dot is fully on the dark ebony board, but as you say Luminlay's are the best of all!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kevsy71 said:

Yeah, I've had that problem on another bass where the dot spanned the line between the neck and board and found it difficulr to set. I've not personally had that problem on the Bruce Thomas myself as the dot is fully on the dark ebony board, but as you say Luminlay's are the best of all!

The ones I like are big and have a black circle around them, so they are nice and visible even in sunlight.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2020 at 21:05, stewblack said:

Fork it. Buy 'em all.

Well....just when we thought this thread was dead. Still totally loving the Profile bass to bits, in fact it's bloody brilliant and it's going nowhere (anytime soon anyhow 😂), ...and you know there's a big 'but' coming...well, a bit of penny saving and I've just pushed the pay button one of these - it really was between this or the Profile...funk it i'll have both:

sandberg-electra-ii-vs4-bk-mfb.thumb.jpg.dce8d07e0c122116384e7aeae3ebd5ff.jpg

£570 from kytary.co.uk - I need a maple, i don't do black, er um! One P for flats and one rounds perhaps....Right the wait begins ;)

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 1