Why become a member? ×

Joyo American Sound overdrive - whoa! it's a bit good!

mcnach

At the moment we are no longer producing any Deluxe pedals. We have no plans to make another Leeds at the present. For product suggestions I recommend posting on our Facebook page. The Leeds is a really cool pedal. I still have mine and use it regularly for both bass and lead guitar. They do pop up used from time to time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

At the moment we are no longer producing any Deluxe pedals. We have no plans to make another Leeds at the present. For product suggestions I recommend posting on our Facebook page. The Leeds is a really cool pedal. I still have mine and use it regularly for both bass and lead guitar. They do pop up used from time to time.

Aw, shame that. :(

Thanks for replying though. 

Joyo American Sound is a cracking pedal. To push to awesome levels of lush tone goodness, I have mine behind a Valeton FET preamp pedal which is (in my opinion) an absolute belter. The Valeton pedal is also lovely for bass.

Edited by Japhet

The American Sound makes my Stratocaster sound pretty good through a MarkBass amp into TKS S112 cabs... Not 'acceptable' but pretty good. A pedal that sounds great for guitar or for bass, and makes the one-rig-for-all not a crazy notion. It's not quite as nice as plugging into a Fender DeLuxe amp, but it's better than many dedicated guitar amps I've tried. 

Can't wait for the British Sound to arrive. If it's as good as this, I think for home use I'm going to do without dedicated guitar amps (no gigs on guitar these days), and have a little board for recording/practice containing those Joyo units. 

British Sound pedal arrived and it's just as good, but different sounding. 

For bass I still prefer the American Sound and I'll stick to it, but my Stratocaster sounds beautiful through either. I haven't quite managed that Marshall JCM800 type of sound yet but I didn't investigate a lot yet (I know it's there, I've heard it in a demo): I found a sound I really enjoyed and spent over an hour on my guitar. I'm rediscovering guitar since I got the American Sound pedal... 

On 30/04/2020 at 17:27, Tech21NYC said:

The Leeds is a KILLER pedal for bass. Much more to my taste than the VT Bass.

I haven't used it in ages as I mainly use the DP-3X these days... every now and then I think of selling it but this thread has convinced me otherwise :D

• Like 2

On 30/04/2020 at 17:27, Tech21NYC said:

That's a real shame... a leeds deluxe would have been amazing...  I use a VT deluxe for live work but the Leeds is more my sound.

I had a leeds the I had modded with xlr out ...it was great!! I still don't know why I sold it it!!??

Out of all the gear I've owned over the years, the two bits of kit that I regret selling above everything are the Alembic F2-B and the Tech 21 Leeds....

That Joyo discount code thread has cost me a lot of money.

First the American Sound pedal. Then the British Sound. That led me to play a lot of guitar lately (I started coming back to it at the start of the lock down)... which led me to miss the sound of two humbuckers... (I had sold all my guitars except a strat and a P90-equipped Les Paul style guitar)... and after managing to sell my car last week, today I welcomed this into my home:

IMG_20200509_160605363.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20200509_160616288.jpg?dl=1

Both American and British Sound pedals sound great with that guitar, but the American sound is particularly delicious... 

I'm thinking I should try to trade instruments with the guitarist/singer in one of my latest projects for a few songs (he used to be mostly a bass player in the 90s)... 

Effects pedals, amplifiers, instruments, have got a lot better since I was a teenager! back then, I had to spend a lot of money, comparatively, for pretty mediocre gear. I could have only dreamt of overdrives like these back then. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mcnach said:

That Joyo discount code thread has cost me a lot of money.

First the American Sound pedal. Then the British Sound. That led me to play a lot of guitar lately (I started coming back to it at the start of the lock down)... which led me to miss the sound of two humbuckers... (I had sold all my guitars except a strat and a P90-equipped Les Paul style guitar)... and after managing to sell my car last week, today I welcomed this into my home:

IMG_20200509_160605363.jpg?dl=1

IMG_20200509_160616288.jpg?dl=1

Both American and British Sound pedals sound great with that guitar, but the American sound is particularly delicious... 

I'm thinking I should try to trade instruments with the guitarist/singer in one of my latest projects for a few songs (he used to be mostly a bass player in the 90s)... 

Effects pedals, amplifiers, instruments, have got a lot better since I was a teenager! back then, I had to spend a lot of money, comparatively, for pretty mediocre gear. I could have only dreamt of overdrives like these back then. 

I'm playing a lot more guitar now during the lock down. I discovered Tone City pedals which are quite fab (check 'em out) and have had a steady stream of them arriving from Ebay ever since! Costing me a fortune too (well. not really 'cos they're silly cheap for what they are).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The guitarist has just lent me one of these pedals. As mentioned above, it works well into a Scarlett - I used it straight into a Scarlett 2i2 to record the bass for a "lockdown" video - sounds pretty good, though I say it myself. 

If anyone's interested, here are my pedal settings

american-sound-settings.thumb.jpg.01c26be0d129e68aa9747d4552ae4cc0.jpg

...and here's the result

Edited by RichardH
  • Like 2