Why become a member? ×

WARNING TO ALL YOU DIY’ers!!! UPDATE

thebrig

2 hours ago, thebrig said:

Thanks, although I'm not sure what sort of movement I will have after they attempt to repair the tendon, but I'm staying optimistic 👍

Man, I hope you get on ok with that and everything works ok. Thats a horrible thing to happen to anyone never mind a musician!

3 hours ago, thebrig said:

I am quite a practical person with many year's of DIY experience which includes building an extension, two porches, refitted bathrooms and kitchens, etc, but this happened to me this morning.

Now you may think that 10mm British Standard BS EN 12150 thermally toughened safety glass which is the thickest, and supposedly the safest for showers would be as tough as old boots, and if it does break, then it will only shatter not causing too much danger to anyone.

Well in the process of removing my old shower this morning, the glass literally shattered in my hands as I was carrying it out of the bathroom, and completely cut through the tendon that controls my forefinger.

I’ve not been out since the lockdown started on Saturday 21st March, so the last thing I wanted after more than five weeks of observing the “stay at home” advice, was to have to visit A&E and take up the time of the fantastic, and very much under pressure NHS staff, I did call them first and explained what had happened, and they insisted that I go along for treatment.

Anyway, I’ve just returned home from Telford A&E where they have temporarily patched me up, given me a course of anti-biotics, plus a tetanus jab, and I am being sent to Oswestry (probably tomorrow) for an op where they will attempt to repair the severed tendon.

I’m not after pity when there are far worse things going on in these terrible times, but the reason I’m posting this is to warn everyone to just be aware of the dangers of DIY jobs that appear to be quite straightforward, I didn’t think for one minute that carrying 10mm toughened safety glass would shatter in my hands, but if I’d just done something simple and sensible like wearing some gloves for instance, then it might have saved me from this injury.

Here’s some pics of the glass that shattered, my injury, and of the temporary dressing, sorry if the second picture is a bit gruesome, but if it stops somebody else making the same mistake as me, then it’s worthwhile taking a look

Hand1.jpg

Hand2.jpg

Hand3.jpg

Ouch, I remember as a child falling on a rusty chain link fence. Minutes later my friend ask me what the string was I was pulling behind me for. It was blood gushing from my finger. I could see the bone. Cut through nerves, tendons and broken bone. Dint feel a thing until the surgeon shoved a needle there for as a local anaesthetic. The same day from A& E to the theatre. I was proud of the plaster cast though at school. I wish you a quick and safe recovery. Keep us posted.

Wishing you a full recovery. I used to work with toughened glass and it can behave unpredictably. You can hit it with a hammer on the surface and nothing will happen but then it can just shatter on its own. A gentle tap on the corner will also make it shatter. 

2 minutes ago, soulboy said:

Wishing you a full recovery. I used to work with toughened glass and it can behave unpredictably. You can hit it with a hammer on the surface and nothing will happen but then it can just shatter on its own. A gentle tap on the corner will also make it shatter. 

I concur, a set of glass weighing scales gently tapped against the base of the loo as I slid it between loo and wash basin. It instantly transformed into granules, no injury.

• Thanks 1

Ooh ow ow ow! 

@thebrig I was almost predicting what you'd done as I read your post as I had a similar injury this time last year. Same familiarity with tools and not being a cack-handed fecker, but one slip with a hand saw and I'd opened up the back of my hand, sawn into the bone and cut the sheath that the tendon runs in, but luckily didn't damage the tendon, still took 3 internal and 8 external stitches to close it up though. The same finger as well. The tetanus hurt more than the cut, proper dead arm for hours afterwards. 

Hopefully all will go well with the tendon surgery tomorrow and it'll be nice and straight forward. The cut should heal really well, I was amazed how quickly mine healed, the body is amazing. 

Best of luck for tomorrow. 

🙂

Hard luck on that - don't beat yourself up too much. It was an accident and so easy to be wise after the event. A definite warning to others though, I have absolutely avoided any form of unnecessary risk recently. That is what I have been telling the Mrs anyway.

I hope your op goes well and wish you a full and speedy recovery. 

Update on my DIY disaster.
Had the op yesterday (Thursday) and they told me that I severed both tendons that control my finger, so I certainly don't do things in halves, lol.
They think it went well but can't yet say how much movement I will have until everything settles down and I've undergone lots of physiotherapy, but I'm staying optimistic.
Thanks for all the kind thoughts over the past few days everyone, it's very much appreciated 🙂

• Like 10