Why become a member? ×

WARNING TO ALL YOU DIY’ers!!! UPDATE

thebrig

I am quite a practical person with many year's of DIY experience which includes building an extension, two porches, refitted bathrooms and kitchens, etc, but this happened to me this morning.

Now you may think that 10mm British Standard BS EN 12150 thermally toughened safety glass which is the thickest, and supposedly the safest for showers would be as tough as old boots, and if it does break, then it will only shatter not causing too much danger to anyone.

Well in the process of removing my old shower this morning, the glass literally shattered in my hands as I was carrying it out of the bathroom, and completely cut through the tendon that controls my forefinger.

I’ve not been out since the lockdown started on Saturday 21st March, so the last thing I wanted after more than five weeks of observing the “stay at home” advice, was to have to visit A&E and take up the time of the fantastic, and very much under pressure NHS staff, I did call them first and explained what had happened, and they insisted that I go along for treatment.

Anyway, I’ve just returned home from Telford A&E where they have temporarily patched me up, given me a course of anti-biotics, plus a tetanus jab, and I am being sent to Oswestry (probably tomorrow) for an op where they will attempt to repair the severed tendon.

I’m not after pity when there are far worse things going on in these terrible times, but the reason I’m posting this is to warn everyone to just be aware of the dangers of DIY jobs that appear to be quite straightforward, I didn’t think for one minute that carrying 10mm toughened safety glass would shatter in my hands, but if I’d just done something simple and sensible like wearing some gloves for instance, then it might have saved me from this injury.

Here’s some pics of the glass that shattered, my injury, and of the temporary dressing, sorry if the second picture is a bit gruesome, but if it stops somebody else making the same mistake as me, then it’s worthwhile taking a look

Hand1.jpg

Hand2.jpg

Hand3.jpg

Edited by thebrig
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 21

3 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Noooooohhhhhh, glass and tendons and bass players = horror. Best of luck and get well soon. Unfortunately accidents can and do happen.

Thanks, although I'm not sure what sort of movement I will have after they attempt to repair the tendon, but I'm staying optimistic 👍

My sympathies - I've had extensor tendon grafts in my right hand 3rd finger from not too dissimilar an injury. Follow the advice of your physios (regarding the prevention of internal scarring) to the absolute extreme and you'll be as you were save a sexy conversation piece on the back of your hand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I’m not after pity when there are far worse things going on in these terrible times

Still, what an awful 'freak accident' to have ! 😬

8 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I am being sent to Oswestry (probably tomorrow) for an op where they will attempt to repair the severed tendon.

My very best wishes. Wonderful people at Oswestry. I spent 3 weeks there (years ago). I'm sure you'll be in safe hands (pardon the pun!).

Thanks for posting this. I’m using some of the lockdown time to give my son some confidence in using power tools, by making some garden furniture together out of pallets. Chop saw, drill/drivers, jig saw, etc. It’s easy to get over familiar with this stuff, so this is a good reminder to ensure I teach him not to cut corners, but if you do, make sure it’s done safely. Gloves, and the right type too.  
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery! 

Edited by oldslapper

Just now, Trueno said:

As noted above, do exactly what the physios say (when the time comes). I used to be married to a physio and learned the hard way.

Best wishes and get well soon.

I am assuming you are talking about the physio's advice! There are a couple of ways of reading that.. 🙂

A few years ago I was helping with the clear up while my mates shop had automatic doors fitted.

As we picked up the old glass door to put it in the skip the glass just instantly shattered inside the metal frame. Fortunately it stayed in the frame, but it looked more like a fine mosaic than a window.

The guy fitting the new door reckoned it happens all the time, any kind of torsion forces on the glass when you pick it up and it just goes.

Reading this makes me wonder if we had a narrow escape.

Wishing the the OP a full and swift recovery from what sounds and looks like a very nasty accident.

Edited by Cato