Why become a member? ×

Precision Jazz Stingray lash up.

Maude

1 hour ago, songofthewind said:

I think the whole thing works very well together! If I saw that in a catalogue or online, I would think it was a production bass.

This ^^^^^^ B|

And I was wrong about the headstock. As it's reverse (always cool), I now think it looks better than if it was 3+1 (or actually 1+3 in reverse position).

If my left handed son ever loses interest in the bass, I'm having the neck off his LH Bass Collection Jazz. :ph34r:

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Smashing that bud 👍, Meguiars & a terry bonnet is good at removing scratches in guards i screw the guard down then work it over. Colours smashing tae really braw (good)...is it passive ?

16 hours ago, Dov65 said:

Smashing that bud 👍, Meguiars & a terry bonnet is good at removing scratches in guards i screw the guard down then work it over. Colours smashing tae really braw (good)...is it passive ?

The scratches are terrible. I gave it a go over with 800 through to 3000 grit and then compounded and polished, and although they've gone it looks horrible now. It's lost it's crisp edges and because I had to go in so deep to remove the scratches it's lost depth and just looks odd. It only ended up costing me about £1.50 and it served its purpose as a guide so it's no big deal. I've got a new one on it's way (from China though) for all of four pound something. I did consider cream pearl but looking at the pictures I think it needs to be black to go with the fretboard and the black shadow in the paint. 

Yes it's just going to be passive for now. Controls will be volume tone and a rotary switch is on it's way from @KiOgon which will select rear single coil/series/parallel/front single coil so should have a few sounds and it'll look like another standard knob.

🙂

• Like 2

I re-lacquered this on Wednesday and the weather was much more suitable so the lacquer has gone on better, (note to self, don't be so impatient next time). I gave it a quick polish up earlier but the paint is still slightly soft so marks on the side that's face down whilst polishing the other side, (note to self, pay attention to previous notes to self). I'll let it hang over the weekend and give it another buff up when it's fully hard, stop sniggering at the back. 

The good news is the finish is OK out of a rattle can, if I can learn to be patient. 🙂

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

This is coming together really nicely! Can I ask what lacquer you're using? 

Thanks. 🙂

I have access to, ahem 'liberated' paint while I'm at work but being furloughed I can't get any. I'm out in the sticks and the nearest place I could buy paint is expensive, and I'm not paying a lot for what i can get free, especially when the free stuff is decent 2k gun applied lacquer and the expensive stuff is aerosol which could well all go wrong. 

Then on the Facebook selling pages there was someone selling bulk aerosols which looked like decent ish trade stuff, but looks can be deceiving. You could have a box of six assorted 500ml cans for £20 plus £3.50p&p. So I bought 5 lacquers and a gloss black, as per the original plan before I found some basecoats stashed. Its actually pretty good as aerosols go, with a reasonable spray cap, which is the most important part. 

This is the link. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/591981074724717/

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

Well it's polished up nicely for aerosol, but I'm waiting for a new scratchplate and my magpie decal to arrive so it's really frustrating because I can't do anything. Can't fit the bridge without the control plate in because of the earth wire, can't fit the control plate without the pickup in and can't fit the pickup in case the new scratchplate has the cutout in a different place, it shouldn't but do I really want to risk it. Can't rebuild the headstock and fit the neck without the decal. 

Grrrrr!! 😄

As I've quite surprised myself with how this is turning out, you'll have to excuse me while I put this picture here and I'll explain tomorrow. 

#smugtwonk, as the kids say. 😁

20200511_181449.thumb.jpg.c23c453534a2b8da696ad085965644b1.jpg

Reveal time. 

The picture above, which incidentally is the corner of our patio, is the reflection off the back of the bass.

I made it black 'n' white and cropped it as it was obvious what it was when red with the outline. I couldn't believe how clear the reflection was in the photo.

I know, I'm a little sad. 😄

I just want to get it rebuilt now but waiting for parts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Aaaand that's why I hate aerosols! 

When they go wrong, they have a tendandcy to go spectacularly wrong. Case in point, the headstock. 

It was primed, basecoated and lacquered ready for the decal and sixpence to be applied, then it would've been lacquered over again to seal it all in. 

I didn't put too much lacquer on as it only needed to be a surface to apply the decal to. When I was flatting it to get a nice smooth surface for the decal and subsequent lacquer, I rubbed though. 

Not to worry, I'll just dust a bit more lacquer on, then flat that and put another colour coat and relacquer it. You can't just dust a colour coat on as the waterbase basecoat is relatively soft and there would be an edge, resulting in a visible ring around where I'd rubbed through. 

I put some lacquer on to seal it in a couple of days ago and gave it a quick flat this morning ready for some colour and lacquer this afternoon. Colour coat on, lovely, let it dry and just a couple of coats of lacquer and we're back to where we were before I rubbed through. 

MASSIVE REACTION! 

The previous coat of lacquer must've still been curing, even though it was plenty hard enough to flat, and because aerosols contain so much solvent, the new lacquer, being the nasty aggressive stuff that it is, decided to have a pop at the older coat of lacquer, making it craze up really badly. 

Luckily it's just the headstock so not a big area to rectify. I'll just flat the whole face back to bare wood and start again. 

This is why I don't like aerosols. 

20200512_174121.thumb.jpg.b8b30c891171585a542b90e6bc4936d4.jpg

Edited by Maude