Why become a member? ×

Purple Chili Phatt Bass 750w *PRICE DROP* £400
£475
London

PRICE DROP - £400

Purple Chili Phatt Bass 750w

One of a short run of bass heads from Mike Walsh who makes the Purple Chili bass cabs and Zoot basses.

I bought this years ago along with a 4x12 cab. The cab gets lots of use with an old Fender PA head, the Phatt Bass has been mostly sat in a cupboard, occasionally used for rehearsals a few years ago.

Condition is pretty good apart from the bottom of the ‘P’ in the logo having snapped off and a bit of very light scuffing.

Plugged it in to test it and it sounds huge. Rich and valvey, although a little noisy when cranked, would probably benefit from the pots being cleaned. Appears to all work great, but I should say that it hasn’t been gigged or played through for long in a couple of years.

I have a couple of other heads and whilst this is pretty light and portable, I usually default to my Markbass for convenience and this doesn’t get the use it deserves.

Some info taken from another sale a few years ago:

‘It's a hybrid amp of the valve pre-amp and class D power amp variety.
The pre-amp is (as supplied) a Denis Cornell hand wired creation that utilises 3 x 12AX7 valves.

It has Active and Passive inputs, Gain (which starts to colour and distort the more you crank it up), Bass, Middle, Treble and Volume controls.

It does 560W @8 ohms, 750W @4 ohms’

Would normally ask for cash on collection, but given the circumstances could post at buyer’s expense.

792B0B51-6DD7-41EE-A17B-B0F7B3E19222.jpeg

65CE54F1-2405-4C58-BD72-F4A32E844B43.jpeg

1D3A8A0F-CD8A-4601-AC7A-E186F34BD19C.jpeg

Edited by edirelandbass
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 14/05/2020 at 10:33, danbowskill said:

When you say noisey when cranked how'd you mean, when turning knobs?  Looks quite a interesting head 🙂

With the treble shift on there is a really sparkly top end (bit much for me, more of a flatwound thudder) which also let’s through a bit of hiss when you really crank it. Knobs could probably do with a dust.

Also when you really max it the valve clipping is quite harsh, but at sensible volumes you can dial in a nice bit of saturation