Why become a member? ×

NBD - Wal Mk 2

Monkey Steve

arrived this morning.  Birdseye maple facings, ebony fingerboard

I've had a couple of Wal's before (one second hand from the mid '80's, one that was new but not my custom order from the late '90's)  and those never quite felt like they were "mine".  Also, necks a bit on the chunky side.  This one is most definitely mine, and the neck is unbelievably slim and fast.  Plus, you know, it sounds like a Wal.  Just all round gorgeous - now that I have it the two year wait seems completely worth it.  Another reason to hope for the end of the lockdown so I can take it to a studio and play it through a cranked up amp

And Paul and Philip at Wal were excellent to deal with - top marks all round.

My boss thinks I'm working this afternoon. My boss is wrong

2044211235_Wal2.thumb.jpg.7c56c65b7305d6dd3ff4c5bceb9fb846.jpg

464042228_wal3.thumb.jpg.63c84e67753330892cbf5821f967b132.jpg

1686468765_Wal4.thumb.jpg.591da581cdef64cbad01d28aa663d181.jpg

1917434687_Wal5.thumb.jpg.ab2cd1fd5d7b9615ecc1061c95090bdb.jpg

Wal 6.jpg

• Like 40
  • Haha 1

Look at that 😍

Bet it sounds the business too 🙂

I was surprised at how thin from to back the necks on my recent build Wals were, but as you say they are very comfortable.

Bet the balance is spot on as well? 

End of a loooooong wait which will be completely forgotten by next week 🙂

30 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

Look at that 😍

Bet it sounds the business too 🙂

I was surprised at how thin from to back the necks on my recent build Wals were, but as you say they are very comfortable.

Bet the balance is spot on as well? 

End of a loooooong wait which will be completely forgotten by next week 🙂

yeah, balance is spot on.  Feels a touch lighter than my memory of the previous Wals too (but I may be wrong)

On comparing the neck, it's a touch wider than my Warwick Stage 1 and feels a little flatter, but if anything is a bit speedier to get round

The feel of the wood is much better than previously - the other ones looked fantastic but had a slightly plastic-y feel to them.  The finish on this one feels much thinner and silkier

Edited by Monkey Steve

4 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

yeah, balance is spot on.  Feels a touch lighter than my memory of the previous Wals too (but I may be wrong)

On comparing the neck, it's a touch wider than my Warwick Stage 1 and feels a little flatter, but if anything is a bit speedier to get round

The feel of the wood is much better than previously - the other ones looked fantastic but had a slightly plastic-y feel to them.  The finish on this one feels much thinner and silkier

I’m with you. I think they are wonderful instruments 🙂

I hope it gives you a lifetime of service to make up for the wait!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Absolutely gorgeous. I know that Paul’s working hard on shaving weight off through savvy wood choice etc.