Why become a member? ×

circle of fifth

zoid

Yes, and it's not difficult nor complicated, when taken in conjunction with other basics. S'not really a 'subject' in its own right, but, as stated above, is an important part of the journey. Don't skirt around it; embrace it with the rest. rSMIKEH.gif

• Like 2

G D A E B F#   (major)

e b f# c# g# d# (minor)

F Bb Eb Ab Dd Gb

d g c f bb eb

(If I could move the minors a bit forward, you could see, that sharps start from the fourth major, and flats from the fifth.)

Now, when you see the first bar of the score and there are 4 crosses, you know immediately, that it has to be in E major, or c# minor. If there are 3 b, the score is in Eb major or c minor.

f# c# g# d# a# e# b#

...and the same backwards:

bb eb ab db gb cb fb

These are the sharps and flats in this order in the score. Don't you think this is important? If not, you probably play without chord and note information.

I think most will say, it is a key fundamental of music theory. Realistically I think you will automatically start understanding the circle of fifths once you start developing you knowledge of scales etc.

Understanding the circle of fifths will make you understand the relation between music’s major keys and their relative minor keys.

Can you do without understanding any music theory? In my opinion you can if you have a good ear.

But I would advise anybody to put in the effort to practise and understand at least some theory, especially on chords and scales. Bass is the harmonic foundation of music and understanding what you do and where it fits in makes you a much better bass player.

• Like 1

A good way of remembering the Cycle of Fourths is
C F (Bb Eb Ab Db Gb) (B E A D G) 

Try to remember C F and the word BEAD G that's how I simplified it worked for me then play single notes in the cycle, then some simple triads it makes sense believe me, good luck

• Like 2

The 4ths is basically the notes on the first fret on your bass starting on the E string, going up and continuing, so F, Bb, Eb, Ab etc. The circle of 5ths is it in reverse, starting on the G string.

It’s fourths ascending, fifths descending, or returning.

• Like 2