Why become a member? ×

Musicman Special’s

Jah Wibble

Hi All, been a long time.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the new Musicman specials? Worth the hype? Read good things about them. 
I used to have a musicman in the mid noughtys but never got on with it (neck was too wide for my playing I think)

Before dropping a flip ton of money on one I wanted to find out what the score was with them.

Hope everyone is well.

I’ve had one since Sept ‘18 and really like it. Been playing Rays on and off for about 24 years. 

It’s definitely different. In some ways it misses the aggression of the old 3 bands, but it makes up for it IMO with a hugely improved preamp that gives you a lot of useable flexibility. So it kind of sits in between the old 2 band and 3 band models doing its own thing - but being more mellow or open like a 2 band when you want it.

Every so often I miss the bite of my old one, but I have a HH Special and the versatility and improved ergonomics win it for me.  

Edited by Chiliwailer

Neck width also depends on when the one you played was actually made, they did used to be wider.

Its really odd, I though the maple fingerboard versions felt narrower but later found out they measure the same. I wonder if the generous slab of rosewood or ebony make them deeper? 

The new maple boards are super comfy though, in between a Jazz and P. 

4 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’ve had one since Sept ‘18 and really like it. Been playing Rays on and off for about 24 years. 

It’s definitely different. In some ways it misses the aggression of the old 3 bands, but it makes up for it IMO with a hugely improved preamp that gives you a lot of useable flexibility. So it kind of sits in between the old 2 band and 3 band models doing its own thing - but being more mellow or open like a 2 band when you want it.

Every so often I miss the bite of my old one, but I have a HH Special and the versatility and improved ergonomics win it for me.  

Ok, that sounds pretty interesting. Surprised about the lack of bite as I thought thats what they were going for more of.

39 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Neck width also depends on when the one you played was actually made, they did used to be wider.

Its really odd, I though the maple fingerboard versions felt narrower but later found out they measure the same. I wonder if the generous slab of rosewood or ebony make them deeper? 

The new maple boards are super comfy though, in between a Jazz and P. 

I bought it fresh from Bass Centre when they were near Liverpool st. There was a mix up at the time and they had to swap the neck. I was pretty green to gear at that point (although I’d been playing a long time) so I didn’t know that was a bit controversial.

Not sure what it was, but I just didn’t get on with that bass.
Then the classics came out and I LOVED what I could do with those. Passed up on buying one in New York for a great price and regretted it ever since. Was wondering how these compare? Might be one for @Chiliwailer to answer?

If that was around 2006 I might have sold it to you!
The Special is different to a Classic, which are lovely too. The body and hardware is much more ergonomic on the Special and the pickup and preamp are very, very different. The Special can do a lovely old school tone, but next to a Classic you’re likely to hear the difference. 

29 minutes ago, Jah Wibble said:

I think it was 2006! Small world! Miss that store, still think Chris does the best set ups (for me anyway.)

Ok, until I get my hands on a special to try I’ll carry on searching for a rosewood classic/vintage white with a tort pickguard classic stingray then

Indeed, Chris had the best dry jokes too! 
Sounds like a plan then, that’s a very nice bass to have your sights locked on 👍

1 hour ago, Jah Wibble said:

Ok, that sounds pretty interesting. Surprised about the lack of bite as I thought thats what they were going for more of.

Only just saw this. Well, they have bite, just perhaps not the ‘rip your head off aggression’ you can dial in from the old ones. IMO, YMMV, etc!